SF Bay Area Bagels

My neighbor makes a loquat butter sort of spread which is ok, I’d say not awesome. Personally I like em a lot more than kumquats tho they peak and go bad so quickly. Some kind of slivovitz/wine or something like that sounds like a great idea. I’m not experienced enough to make booze and wine and i still have vision in both eyes and a nice liquor store a few blocks away, so lemme know !

That’s fun about mushroom hunting. Our friends and my wife’s family in europe are huge into that. Dried, pickled, fresh, you name it. I’m not brave enough to mess around either. Dead & Co. coming to town tho so you never know but i think my window is closed or closing in that regard.

I’ve never tried guanabana, is that something you get and drink in cali? good call on the agua fresca approach.

Please do report back on your urban foraging successes, I’ve enjoyed reading those and inspires me to do more of the same. Enjoy the weekend!

Some tuna made their way into my horchata this morning a great mix.

Anybody try yet?

1 Like

These bagels are local to me. I tried them when they were first rolled out at the Farmers Market (early 2021?). I was not impressed at the time (was downtrodden b/c SC county doesn’t have any outstanding bagels available). I’m sure they’ve improved since then, and given the success of the recent SF launch will give them a re-try. We all need more bagel options in our lives.

1 Like

I tried and enjoyed bagels from Laundromat/Holey Roller yesterday. They’re 16/half dozen or 3/ea, so definitely a bit pricey, but my sesame was excellent – a bit chewy on the outside, soft but not gummy inside. Schmear was for sale by the container.

3 Likes

Midnite Bagels, Inner Sunset SF. Slight crispy crust, chewy with strong sourdough tang. Apparently the shop is closing soon but the bagels will still be sold at Molly Stones and some other places.

4 Likes

Do bagels tend to degrade rapidly from the morning to afternoon? I just had Boichek in Palo Alto and they were kind of stale. But I went around 2:30pm.

They ought to be making their bagels fresh throughout the day.

1 Like

Yes, they deteriorate pretty quickly if exposed to air. If I’m not eating them right away I put them in a closed paper bag or slice and freeze them. The best places have high turnover and bake them throughout the day. If they baked them early morning I can see them being stale by 2:30, if not wrapped in paper or plastic.

3 Likes

Midnight Bagels at Ferry Building (Saturday)

Never had a bagel with that sourdough taste. Hmmmm……I guess I’ll have to try it more often but I like my Absolute Bagels in NYC. Ferry Building is pretty fun on a Saturday. I really liked my mango smoothie at Mangosay and that porchetta sandwich with potatoes at Roli Roti.

3 Likes

Their Everything Cookie is the best.

Chicken Dog - still my favorite in SF.
He’s now curing lox, making seasonal jams and baking amazing looking/smelling babka as well,

3 Likes

Chicken Dog getting some good press.

2 Likes

Boichik Bagels was at the A’s Jewish Heritage Night last night. It was the first time I had a “fresh” (unfrozen) bagel from them, and while it was a bit sweet for my liking the texture was perfect.

1 Like

Boichik’s new factory and store off Gilman St had a remarkably short wait last weekend. I think it’s still under the radar and gets less traffic than the original College Ave location.

1 Like

I’m down in Hayward, so it’s a long schlep from here to Berkeley just for bagels.

3 Likes

Thanks I had them bookmarked but they were only at farmers markets before so never was up on the right day/time to catch them.

1 Like

I had a good bagel sandwich today from Schlok’s in the Lower Haight, the

Classic ($15)
Caper Schmear, Sliced Salmon, Tomato, Onion Sprout

I should have held the sprouts. Nevertheless, this was a very good bagel sandwich. I had it on an untoasted plain bagel with smoked salmon. I’m not a bagel expert but the bagel had good chew and a nice hard crust.

Also, Hahdough is just down the street. I had a raspberry Berliner and an espresso there as an appetizer. It was a very airy doughnut that had just the right amount of sweetness.

9 Likes

I had a raspberry Berliner at Hahdough this weekend while picking up a Herrentorte. I’ve never tried their coffee–how is it?

For some reason I always walk past the line at Schlok’s straight into the sweet konditorei bliss of Hahdough.