SF Bay Area Bagels

There was no line to order when I was driving by so I stopped at Schlock’s. Nice crust but the inside is still a little soft for my tastes, almost undercooked. Nice sour tang to the cream cheese. The service is still a shitshow though. 20 minutes to get 2 untoasted bagels with cream cheese when there was no line to order, doubt I will return.

1 Like

I love the name! Any irony intended?

Oxford Dictionary

1. cheap or inferior goods or material; trash.

“schlock journalism”

1 Like

Hah, I have no idea where their name came from.

I prefer not to eat schlock bagels!

good profit margin on those at the prices charged now, I can see why! Still an affordable luxury to get the good ones.

1 Like

If you use the Too Good to Go App, you can get Daily Driver Bagels there for $5 for 6 bagels. They give you the same day bagels, but u get whats packed and available (sometimes they ask you if you have any preferences). Its relatively easy to get that (they do at least 1 or 2 bags most days)

At that price, I think DD bagels are totally worth it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s a combination of the two founders’ last names (from their website, iirc).

1 Like

A bit better than

https://schmucksbagels.com.au/

But still laughable

1 Like

I got Poppy Bagels’ valentines day delivery for my gf who is a big bagel fan. Then we got gifted 6
Schlok’s a month or so after. Schlok’s was definitely bigger, denser, but also had a more malty and better flavor. Probably wasn’t a fair comparison since the Poppy one was in the freezer for that long, but even with that I’d probably prefer the Poppy. But then I prefer Montreal-style over all these (and the top-rated in NYC) so I’m probably the wrong person to really compare. There sure are a ton of bagels flying around right now though.

Then she got Schlok’s again recently and the crumb was a lot more open, along with more small bubbles on the surface like Poppy has. Already changing their bake? Who knows.

Poppy on V day:

With home cured fennel (foraged from above Dolores!) vodka gravlax with nasturtium seed pod ‘capers’ (foraged from McLaren Park!):

Schlok’s on the left, Poppy on the right:

Schlok’s bought a month and a half or so later:

7 Likes

Foraging for herbs by Dolores park is old school nice job

2 Likes

No One has mentioned my fave…Hella Bagels in the East Bay…He is currently looking for a space, they were in the Hidden Cafe for a while. You can order them on Instagram for now. Bagels have a good chew, and malt forward, not sweet like Boichick, ( I wanted to like those, but too sweet) Schlocks were good, not as good as the hype. I didnt enjoy Sauls or Wise…bagel shaped rolls IMO

2 Likes

Ya, in between the J tracks and Church Street, the steep part has a lot of plants that no one — and, most importantly, no dogs — go to and there is some wild fennel growing there. It takes a bit to get it but it’s one of the early growing fennel spots in the city that I know (later on it’s everywhere).

9 Likes

Keep your reports on the urban foraging coming I really like to see this. And yes, I’m a dog lover too, but your strategy is effective! I’ve seen bay leaves from time to time, there’s always rosemary, mint and sage around. I see nasturtium and have tried the flower but never thought about the pods for your capers. One way to find out how they taste. My family forages for snails, but of course ultimately lets them go…I suppose others could eat them? Maybe there’s enough of that fennel as the summer rolls in for pollen gathering?

I’m into fermenting and found this huge hill of nasturtiums on a hike at McLaren and was in the right time to get a bunch of seed pods. There’s also a huge blackberry patch which I forage to make cobbler and jam.

Who knew McLaren Park was such a foraging treasure.

Page which led me to making the nasturtium seed pods: https://foragerchef.com/nasturtium-capers-lacto-fermented/

7 Likes

Nice work chiel. I’m gonna give that a try if I can find a bunch of pods - you hit the jackpot. Do you have something you like to do with loquats? Just coming to the end of line here in these parts, such a short season, but such volume too there’s gotta be some other use or way to preserve? Do you ever look for mushrooms? Morton Bay figs? Cactus fruits (the red things)? Keep it up.

2 Likes

If you like Montreal style, you can order bagels packed and shipped directly from St Viateur in Montreal via Goldbelly. Even at their markup, it still works out much cheaper than the $3-$3.50 per bagel at the local shops. Especially when ordering 4-6 dozen at a time to split with others.

2 Likes

Picked up a bag of sesame bagels from Midnite Bagel at Berkeley Bowl the other day. I was not familiar with the brand beforehand. LOVED them and much preferred them to Boichik. Great density and chew.

1 Like

Thanks, I used to eat a St Viateur bagel every morning, and some late nights, when staying in Montreal (my friend lived around the corner on Waverly). But not sure I really need them enough — or have the space to freeze 4-6 dozen of them!

Loquats… hmm I’d just make jam/preserves or do halves in a sugar syrup. Or try koso with them (I’ve only ever done citrus but I know they do all kinds of fruits). Or peel them and make some kind of ‘wine.’

My mom and her husband are huge mushrooms nerds, part of the mushroom club in their area, etc. Whenever they come up here they always take a day or two to go hunting, and sometimes bring back some real nice hauls — huge boletes, etc. I like mushrooms a lot and will look around on hikes but not part of a club or brave enough to forage random ones I don’t really know (as no one should).

Funny you mention prickly pear/tuna though — my brother lives in the Sacramento area and I hadn’t been out there for a year and a half or so because of the pandemic. But a neighbor down the street has a huge cactus that was fruiting. So so many tuna. I don’t think it fruited before or maybe I was only there at the wrong time, but I did go and ask them to get some (they were surprised and didn’t even know you could eat them). We were only there for a day so I made a bunch of agua de tuna and took some home and left some for the brother. Now, if only guanabana (my favorite juice) grew on the neighbors yard!

2 Likes