Seek Suggestions Airtight Containers for Food Storage

Honestly, Costco had them on sale :slight_smile:
I thought they would look nice, and I needed an upgrade so I took a shot. Turns out America’s Test Kitchen also rates them highly.
The smaller ones are great for small batches of my spice mixtures, and I use a larger one to keep yeast in the fridge. I really like that they are clear so I can see what’s in them. They also feel nice, if that makes sense.

While I don’t own any of these, they are supposedly made out of BPA free Triton plastic (the same stuff my Vitamix containers are made from). So to me that says that as far as plastic containers go, they’re among the best.

BUT… I am not sure that glass wouldn’t be a better solution.

Glass definitely is better if one is concern about plasticizers. That being said, I am storing foods, and not heating them. The problem with glass is that they can get pretty heavy and also glass can break in a way that plastic does not. I do have some glass storage containers. Rubbermaid also makes the glass version too.

My mom just puts her Japanese shiitake in regular glass jars with twist lids and then in the fridge. They’ve always held up this way. Not really sure if fridge is needed (and she’s been doing this since I was a kid), but my guess is the extra moisture control doesn’t hurt either.

1 Like

How many of your glass containers have broken? If that is a real problem, then I would go with plastic.

That is best. Unfortunately, I have too many things and they cannot all go to refrigerator and freezer. Right now, I am prioritizing certain things like dried oysters, dried shrimps to go to refrigerator/freezer, while something are not. A lot of this is based on experience what can go bad and what does not go bad with and without cold temperature control. I think airtight containers with some desiccants (if needed) will be enough for many.

Man. I am not your wife. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Just kidding. Good question. The answer is none so far. So far I have not broken a glass containers for food storage, but hey, the possibility is there.

2 Likes

Even though they rated the Brilliance higher overall, apparently these Anchor Hocking TrueSeal containers were rated the best for keeping air out (according to Good Housekeeping)

EDIT: Good Housekeeping Article

2 Likes

Yup… and one of my Pyrex measuring cups has chipped at the spout, it hasn’t forced me to buy plastic ones. Just sayin’.

The ones you pictured are the newer version, @Chemicalkinetics. You squish the two levers in the top to remove the top. The ones I have are these, where each “handle” clicks down very tightly into the frame of the container. The website link is New Zealand only - I don’t think they’re available in the U.S. anymore.

Imgur

as air cools, it creates vacuum.
un- clipping the side fasteners does not ‘spoil’ the vacuum.
the OXO (et. al.?) mechanics / style does.

the last Rubbermaid “seal” container" I was forced to deal will ended with a heavy cleaver blow. the heavy cleaver blow worked splendidly, and DW has given up on using the rest.

2 Likes

I use those for staples like flour, sugar, cornmeal, etc.

They are truly airtight so I never have infestation problems.

For leftover storage, I use to go containers from restaurants and delis.

1 Like

I use that style from various brands for staples, spices, and for making limoncello :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have tons of Rubbermaid Brilliance stuff and never had any difficulty opening them.

I have used the various sizes of Pyrex, the ones with the red lids, for several years and like them BUT the lids wear out and they do not offer replacement lids. As they reach end of life, my current plan is to shift to Weck. I like the glass lids, natural rubber gaskets, and clips, and they sell replacement parts.

3 Likes

It’s the air that gets trapped in the container when you close it that’s the problem. You can never really burp it all out.

You’re really just looking for something leakproof that doesn’t spill if it’s accidentally knocked over.

Containers do not meaningfully extend the storage life of short-term perishables. They prevent cross contamination from leaks, and help maximize storage efficiency (“cubing out”).

Long story, short: don’t overspend on exaggerated claims by some manufacturer.

Restaurant supply houses have everything you need in every imaginable shape and size.

1 Like

You have a point here. @Chemicalkinetics have you considered a vacuum sealer?

replacement lids for Pyrex sizes are readily available on Amazon.

1 Like

I have considered vacuumable containers too, and responded to Shrinkrap as much. Currently, I am thinking about airtight containers should be sufficient with desiccant – keep the dried foods continued to be dried. If you remember, I previously did not have too much problem. It became a problem after I moved to these prettier but not airtight containers. Some of my dried mushrooms pickup moisture and becoming all soft. I think the problem is that I stored them in non-airtight containers, so they picked up moisture over time. Desiccant will be useless in these non-airtight containers too.
I have moved some into my fairly airtight glass containers now.

1 Like

Good suggestion. Maybe I should consider this as another approach as well.