Seafood and vermouth

I find Rachael Ray hard to stomach, so I neither watch her on TV nor know if her recipes or methods are reliable. I heard her on public radio today, essentially a puff piece about her new memoir. One thing she said caught my attention. She said that if you use dry vermouth in seafood dishes, the kitchen won’t smell like low tide later. Can anyone confirm or refute her claim?

Never heard that before and I occasionally use vermouth as a sub for white wine. . . but never noticed a difference. . . . . curious what other’s experiences have been.

1 Like

She always use to say that on her show and iirc she credited her mother with the advice. I tried it and didn’t notice any difference. Coming from the Queen of Garlic, I thought worrying about what her house smelled like was pretty funny.

1 Like

Not a fan of RR either. Her voice and mere presence is irritating. A simple Google search does not garner a single non-Rachel Ray result for vermouth quelling seafood odors. Either its BS or an “Old Wives Tale”, but if it were the latter, I think it would be more commonly known.

I used to enjoy watching RR’s shows on TV when we holidayed in America (more so than any other food show we watched). Her style of “quick cooking” entirely suits my own. Until fairly recently, I had a number of her cookbooks - but they didnt survive one of our regular culls (too many recipes with “shortcut” ingredients not easy to get in the UK)

But this seems a totally bollocks claim.

Used Vermouth as a variation from the usual white wine. Works well with mussels, shells dishes, and good with fish soup as well.

Never saw her show, no idea on her comment. I don’t think vermouth can mask the “low tide” though.

Many years ago, Julia Child advocated using vermouth in Mastering the Art of French Cooking, vol, 1, p.31.

Never heard of it, nor do I believe it. Have heard that fish should swim twice - once in the sea and secondly in wine. Don’t know to whom that loose quote should be attributed.

With regards to RR recipes, a friend tried quite a few, but everything needed quite a bit of tweaking, to our tastes, anyway. Everything seemed to be under seasoned by a good stretch.

Maybe I just don’t have a strong sense of smell, but I’ve only rarely had a “low tide” problem after cooking fish. Bluefish and mackerel, sure, but I would be very unlikely to use wine or vermouth in the preparation of either. What really stinks things up is when my partner makes a hamburger (I don’t eat meat, so I’m VERY AWARE of beef grease).