Scrambled Eggs

Wow, I thought you were in my kitchen.

6 Likes

I put a splash of milk and just whisk with a fork and they seem to come out moister than with no milk. Whites and yolks integrate fine.

Another suggestion that really surprised me.

3 Likes

Iā€™m pondering this suggestion from the comments on the recipe you linked to, @Rooster.

Richard R.November 30, 2019

put 3 eggs in a bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Whisk. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Make sure thereā€™s at least 5 inches of water in the pot. Wait until it boils. Pour in the eggs and try to keep them from striking the bottom where they might stick. Cover the pot and let stand about 30 to 45 seconds. Pour the eggs into a strainer. Roll out on a plate. If moist is what you want youā€™ll not get a better plate of eggs andā€¦no butter.

Your typical ā€œpoached scrambled eggsā€ methinks.

2 Likes

Never tried it, re commenter.
The slurry version Iā€™m trying later today with one sacrificial egg.

1 Like

Tried it last night, really enjoyed it. Can recommend!

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting back. I didnā€™t see the point after trying the slurry out. Didnā€™t taste bad, didnā€™t ruin the egg but I didnā€™t find any enhancement to adding it.

Has anyone tried the Kenji Lopez-Alt recipe for extra creamy scrambled eggs in the New York Times? Since trying it, it is my go to recipe and technique for scrambling eggs.

2 Likes

Googling. Iā€™ve tried Gordon Ramsayā€™s creamy scrambled eggs.

2 Likes

Kenjiā€™s is slurry + 1:1 butter to eggs (cold butter cubed into the eggs, plus more butter in the pan).

Iā€™m not butter-shy at all, but itā€™s way too much butter foe me for an everyday egg.

(Plus by the time you cube it and the rest of that fussiness, Iā€™d be done already.)

I do like the method of cooling the pan down by starting with water - a too-hot pan is the enemy of soft scrambled eggs!

Iā€™m with you on everything in this thread :joy:. I like my eggs fluffy, not creamy. I dislike French omelets (unless itā€™s a souffle one rather than the ā€œbaveuseā€ type) and love Thai ones.
And yes, salt loosens the proteins. This is also why adding a pinch of salt helps make a better egg wash for bread and other doughs. Some people add water or milk to try to loosen the egg, but a pinch of salt is more effective.

2 Likes

Takes about 15/20 seconds to mix them up well, Iā€™ve been doing it this way for a very long timešŸ˜Š

3 Likes

Oh, thatā€™s really interesting. And makes sense! Now if I can just remember to do it, and recall the ratio!!!

Has anyone tried this method?

1 Like

I spent a couple of weeks failing to make that egg tornado. Good times!

3 Likes

I dislike folded French omelettes, but I love Greek diner omelettes, which look more like a frittata.

I really like omurice and Japanese rolled omelettes.

I want to try Australian folded eggs. I would prefer someone make them for me - they donā€™t seem to be on any brunch menus in Toronto. :rofl:

5 Likes

This is my method for perfect scrambled eggs:

Use fresh eggs.
Purchase farm fresh for fluffier creamier texture and eggs that are deeper in colour.
Add 1 TBSP of cold filtered water per egg.
So for 3 eggs use 3 TBSP cold water.
Beat all your frustrations out on the eggs using a fork.
Cook on a lower temperature adding the eggs in a cooler non stick pan once the butter has melted.

For a large crowd:

Cook eggs in a roaster, stove top, when the eggs are still wet cover with a damp tea towel and finish in the oven.

2 Likes

Anyone here make scrambled eggs in a carbon steel pan? (Or a tri-ply stainless steel?!) Would love to read any tricks you have.

1 Like

I saw Gordon Ramsey make 'em on Hot Ones and his recipe not just easiest but best for us.

Heat up pan to medium

Melt some butter. Sometimes I use oil spray.

Crack three eggs right into hot pan no scrambling. Yolks can break up or wait. Whatever happens ā€¦

Then once whites harden a bit, take it off of the heat, break the yolks stir it and fold it a few times and put back on heat and fold or stir it a bitā€¦no magic here, donā€™t over cook or over stir is really the key

Take it off, finishes cooking on plate. Salt.

Eggs a bit streaky white yellow sometimes but makes it fluffy and tasty.

I have had same results in all kinds of pans.

Did I mention this is easy! Works for one egg or many.

4 Likes