Scrambled Eggs

I even hate to see the white streaks on my French Toast!

2 Likes

Tbh, Iā€™ll eat them done any way - mentally they are different dishes to me (home eggs, cafeteria eggs, etc). But at home I make them a specific way, and Iā€™m picky.

I also donā€™t like eating soft eggs out, because thereā€™s a difference between custardy eggs and raw eggs, and I donā€™t trust random people to actually spend the time it takes to make correct custardy eggs and not serve me undercooked eggs that ā€œlookā€ custardy.

5 Likes

AGREED! I donā€™t care about white streaks in scrambled eggs but I really donā€™t like to see whites on French toast. Funny the things our minds and taste buds latch onto!

3 Likes

Thatā€™ll work!

Agree with using immersion blender. To be sure to keep out those little ā€œtailsā€ put thru a strainer.
Iā€™ve been fortunate for many years to know a nearby farmer with great eggs from happy chicks. But having these beautiful eggs has caused me to be super picky about eggs I eat out.

I have one of those coiled doohickey things too. Do you use a circular motion, or plunger? Iā€™ve often wondered if itā€™s designed to whisk or to agitate. I havenā€™t seen the classic manual, crank style eggbeaters in ages. They sure did work well!

No salt, cigarettes or alcohol? The staples of my life. And no, Iā€™m sure my high blood pressure has no link to these :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I sell every single one I put in my antique mall space (and have kept a couple for home.) people love them.

2 Likes

I throw them in the blender with a bit of milk, and sometimes a spoon of cream cheese, and blend for just a few seconds. Then into a warm pan that has a very generous amount of butter melted in it.

French Toast was a ā€œgiftā€ in our house growing up ('50s). My sisters and I would take it any way it was given to us. :yum:

3 Likes

Well thatā€™s good @RedJim! Non picky people are a JOY to be around, and I mean that sincerely!

3 Likes

Had I not stopped, we would not be having this chat.

7 Likes

Like here John? At 5:45:

The masters.

As others have well noted the key is to mix the eggs well. Like you, I prefer the final product to be fully homogeneous - no streaks. I donā€™t use the appliances so many others cite. I do add a splash of water to the egg mixture before whisking. I vaguely recall a credible discussion that the water helps make the scrambled eggs more fluffy as it steams off during cooking. I donā€™t use a whisk (too hard to clean), just a fork applied vigorously. The more eggs you use the longer it takes but even eight eggs only takes a couple of minutes. I cook on medium high heat in a bit of vegetable oil. No streaks, no problems.

For additions, if you choose, some go in with the eggs (onions, garlic, diced peppers) and some go in on top (cheese, herbs).

I have saved a bunch of those plastic gelato containers. Great for making salad dressing and whisking eggs

Screw the top on and shake vigorously.

1 Like

Absolutely, Robin. And I rather suspect that programme was where I found out how to do it properly.

By the by, Iā€™ve been to both their restaurants. The Waterside for our 40th anniversary but Le Gavroche only last year (after it scrapped its ā€œjackets requiredā€ policy).

1 Like

Brilliant! Actually, thatā€™s how I do my vinaigrette but in a small jar.

1 Like

This is my universal emulsifying machine. Works for eggs as well as making almost instant mayo.

= wire coil whisk and French ā€œworking glassā€.

4 Likes

One of my siblings was like that. Hated to see even a speck of white

Itā€™s funny how we all have our little culinary quirks and bugaboos!

1 Like