Sawan Indian in Marlboro now open!

Mark always explains he wants it “Indian hot”. Alas, it rarely comes that way.

I had an entirely different experience. Naan tasted fresh and the food was not that spicy. It’s spicy but not at the level of what I would consider very very spicy.

So Joon, I think you may be a chilehead:

I suggest you consult with Mr. Z who also shares your predilection.

Perhaps a pepper show down is in order.

1 Like

Allen, is there an Indian restaurant you like? Just trying to get a sense of what you normally go for.

1 Like

I think most places keep it down because some people are a little sensitive in the US.

You can always increase the heat on request, but it’s hard to take out once it’s in there.

I’m guessing Allen would not be a big fan of the ghost pepper wings !

Oh, if only that were true!

The fact is that most Indian restaurants (and Szechuan restaurants, and Thai restaurants) seem to decide that if you are Caucasian, you don’t really mean it when you ask for hot. I think this is changing with Szechuan and Thai, but not Indian yet.

1 Like

Evelyn, are you a secret chilehead?

I’m also guessing Allen won’t be back to answer…

I think Allen was a shill. His “friends” didn’t like Sawan, but Masala up the road is good? Pretty obvious.

I tried so hard to be good!

I love Indian buffets, but they usually put me in a coma.

So today I went to Sawan. I avoided rice and the bread. I skipped dessert (which was easy… it’s been the same every time I’ve gone… rice pudding, and “firni”… another kind of pudding.).

I did get the complimentary mango lassi… they are only offering a free drink til the end of September. Next time (if there is a next time*), I will stick with water or the spiced tea served on the buffet.

I also had some cauliflower, which was on the spicy side. And, yeah, I had a few pakoras. 3 pieces. But mostly I ate meat in sauce. I used a spoon rather than a fork.

I didn’t eat myself into a coma. Still overate, but I didn’t feel obliterated like I usually do.

*NO complaints about the restaurant or food. It is top-notch. Just that I am trying a zero-carb diet for the month of October, and if it goes well… that may have been my last Indian buffet.

1 Like

Exactly why I posted the question…those folks are easy to spot!

Definitely a chili head! I went to Mark’s Place in Asbury for some jerk chicken the other day and asked for a chopped habanero on the side (apparently they are called country peppers, not habanero :smiley: ) and the woman looked at me like I was crazy. Something about jerk chicken I like to be practically crying while eating it.

I’m usually the same with Indian and Thai.

Sort of off topic BTW for fans of Seabra’s in Newark, I finally made my way there the other day and their home made hot sauce just blew me away. I almost started choking when I first tasted it, it’s way up in the scovilles, yet extremely tasty.

Went today for lunch buffet. Food was flavorful and rich. Chicken tikka and chicken masala stood out.
They also offer a rice pudding and "Indian " pudding for dessert. Naan came with buffet as well as mango Lassi. Not an overwhelming selection but what was there was enough to make me walk out uncomfortably full. Place was maybe a third full at any time between 1pm and 2pm.

Heat levels were very mild on the dishes but I was ok with it. Not an expert on Indian cuisine but if your looking for a change and your hungry …there’s good value here.

You WILL definitely be back, especially since it appears that Indian Grill is OoB. At least, it appeared papered over. Kind of hard to tell when I’m driVing 50 mph and it’s dark, but I saw papered up windows and what looked like a sign.

Oh boy! Maybe Italian? :slight_smile:

The fairly reliable Yelp indicates Indian Grill is permanently closed. Too bad–it was pretty good, but the location was less than ideal. It was halfway between two widely spaced jug handles, and hard to see from the road.

As an eyewitness, I concur. (Yes, i couldn’t wait!) The sign now reads:

Coming Soon: Japanese Kitchen

The name suggests cooked foods, rather than sushi. Perhaps udon/ramen, maybe Japanese specialties?

I could go for some good hamachi kama.

A udon/ramen would be great but probably won’t happen. Probably another generic “Japanese” place - teriyaki, sushi, etc.

Unless it’s actually owned and operated by Japanese. I know, it’s a long shot…

Had the lunch buffet yesterday. Only one other customer in the place from 12-1. The place is laid out very nicely and the owner and staff were welcoming and courteous.

The food was fine, as it went. Bland and mild renditions of the usual staples dominated the small steam table and while nothing was bad overall I am left with the impression that I won’t be back. If what you want is the same old thing done competently then this is your place.

Well, this place is now open. Yesterday was their first day. I stopped by to get a menu, but they locked the door at two minutes before 8:00. Who closes that early?

Can’t find an online presence, but there are some Yelp reviews (which I find suspect… sorry). The place is called “Yuzu Kitchen”. Menu was in the front window. A few poke bowls, create your own sushi burritos (think oversized maki), Japanese nachos, and ramen soup. No actual sushi or sashimi per se, though they do serve raw fish, etc.

Seems to be a Japanese fast food concept of sorts.