Savory mooncakes

I have tasted this savory Shanghainese mooncake only once in my life and many years ago in Hong Kong. Actually I prefer this than the more common sweet version. I think traditionally the dough is flaky and made with lard, like the baked barbecue puff (Char Siu puff or Char Siu Sou). Does anybody has any information or recipe to make this dough? Will the fact that using the ready made puff pastry would make a big difference?

Image credits: the woks of life and Serious Eats.

2 Likes

That looks amazing. Would love to know more about this.

I had a girlfriend once whose nickname was Savoury Mooncakes.

A right stunner she was.

You’ll have better luck if you search for Suzhou-style mooncakes, which is what they are known as in Shanghai.

3 Likes

No I’m pretty sure it was Savoury Mooncakes, and not Suzy Mooncakes.

Do these qualify as ball shaped food (otm)?

Both pictures you posted are associated with a recipe. Gary Soup’s post points out one of them. What more do you need?

Wouldn’t Savoury Mooncakes be a great name for a Bond Girl?

Apparently it’s pretty complicated. You have to make two different doughs and then press and roll them together before final assembly of the ball.

For the water dough:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup cold water
1 egg, beaten
20 grams lard

For the lard dough:

1 cup plus 2 tablepsoons all-purpose flour
100 grams lard

For the water dough, mix all of the ingredients together and knead until very smooth. Add water or flour as needed. The dough should be soft with no lumps. Divide into 12 balls. Set on table, cover with cling wrap, and let rest for 30 minutes.

For the lard dough, mix all of the ingredients together until they form a dough. Divide into 12 balls. Cover in cling wrap and set it aside.

Once the water dough has rested for 30 minutes, use your palm to press a ball of the dough into a round circle.

Add a ball of lard dough right into the center. Bring up the sides of the water dough and press flat.

Roll the hybrid ball of dough into a long, thin oval. Then roll it into a log, widthwise.

Repeat with the remaining 11 balls of dough, making sure to keep the finished logs under cling wrap to prevent drying out. Let the logs rest for 20 minutes.

1 Like

Sounds complicated, that gives me a very good reason to give up. :laughing:

Stop hinting you are Bond when your avatar tells a different story! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I looked a little different 30 years ago…

c054f470b05b4124b7494681e00d5b40938cce5f_hq (1)

But since then I’m afraid it has been all downhill…

What was your mission, to fight the evil food corp?