SAVORY EGG DISHES - Spring 2024 (Apr-Jun) Dish of the Quarter

I make a cheater’s soufflé too! Made in a skillet,it starts on the stove and then moves to the oven. I made one a week or two ago. I wanted to make it with blue cheese, but the cheese I thought I had bought wasn’t in the fridge, so I pivoted to cheddar and chives. It didn’t rise as much as usual (maybe the cheese was too heavy??), and so the picture isn’t impressive, but it tasted good.

10 Likes

I love this dish - yours looks great!. It’s a real go-to when there’s not much on hand but eggs, cheese and some green stuff…

2 Likes

I missed the editing window, so here is an amended recipe writeup, with everything as it should be.

6 Likes

Totally agree. And it feels a little special.

1 Like

I should add nachos to the list of things to do with pickled peppers. They are perfect for the NYT iteration which I’ll be making next week (following is a gift link):

2 Likes

Please join us for summer 2024 COTM nominations:

Couple of days left for Cookbook of the Month (Quarter) nominations if anyone wants to participate / cook together next quarter:

COTM voting happening now:

3 Likes

That looks really good, Phoenikia! It reminds me of Strapisada, which is a good thing, but then takes it down just a little different path. And the Kita (with teff flour and tikur azmud) would be interesting.
Not a lot of Ethiopian grocery stores in my part of Montana, though. I used to visit Meskerem in DC back in the day. One of the joys of Ethiopian food at the time was the novelty of it. There are not as many novel foods any longer. The US is a bit more of a cosmopolitan place of late. I imagine that Canada is similar.

1 Like

Nominations for next quarter are open: Summer 2024 (Jul-Sept) Dish of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

It’s been interesting. We have had a ton of newcomers arriving in Canada lately, and the economical restaurant landscape is reflecting the taste of the current population.

Our population, which traditionally was around the same as California’s, hit 40 million people last July , and I think we already have hit 41 million people this year.

Many of the newcomers are coming from South Asia, the Middle East and Africa.

I happen to live near one of the 2 Ethiopia towns in Toronto. There are Ethiopian sports bars, restaurants, grocery stores and coffee shops, and places selling Ethiopian coffee pots, coffee cups and griddles.
I took these photos on Sunday on Bloor St near Christie Pits in Toronto.

The Ethiopian and Eritrean communities are quite well established in Toronto, Hamilton, London, and Windsor.

Most other East African restaurants are run by people who are Ismaili Muslim and South Asian, who lived in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania for several generations before moving to Canada. The food cooked by Ismailis is called Khoja.

don’t know of any Kenyan, Ugandan or Tanzanian restaurants focused on the foods that are not Khoja cuisine.

There are a few Somalian places, which I haven’t had a chance to try yet.

In terms of West African food in Toronto, Nigerian restaurants seem to be having a moment.

I keep finding new dishes to try!

And I have been finding new vegetable seeds to plant!

A Khoja Omelette (Ismaili cuisine from East Africa)

6 Likes
1 Like