SAVORY EGG DISHES - Spring 2024 (Apr-Jun) Dish of the Quarter

David Chang (is it still ok to mention that guy here?) recently made those for his dinner guests.

I can’t even poach an egg to save my life, so that would be the epitome of a savory egg dish to conquer. Looking forward to the eggy fruit of your efforts!

I don’t know why you refuse to get a poach pod.

Oh yeah! Y’know, I bought wonton wrappers for lasagna (yeah) — methinks I can use a few for this.

Highly recommend a few indian egg dishes for anyone looking for some twists on the usual

– Masala omelette / parsi omelette — these are delicious, and very easy because they’re intended to be thin. Eat as is or roll into a paratha, tortilla, or scallion pancake. Though I prefer mine with buttery toast.

– Anda bhurji / akuri — masala scrambled eggs

– Egg curry — unlimited versions. All delicious. Especially good with rice, and do yourself a solid and add potato to the curry too.

1 Like

I don’t. I’ve had one and it didn’t work :woman_shrugging:

Seeing a Facebook memory from… oh, 12 years ago re: yet another poaching fail, I think I know myself and my limits well enough at this point. It’s ok. I make other egg dishes well & leave the poaching to folks more adept at it than I.

3 Likes

I had this at Lakruwana, and it made me want to improve upon their version.

And I’m gonna make chopped hard-boiled eggs in saltwater during Passover, how’s that for keeping it simple?

Maunika gowardhan (previously COTM) has a few good versions.

1 Like

Bookmarked, thanks. I’ve also had this on my “make” list for a while:

2 Likes
1 Like

My daughter made this, I did too but only have photo of hers:

3 Likes

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/lobster-in-lemongrass-broth-with-truffled-shiitake-flans-recipe-2009538

The mushroom flan in this recipe is great, regardless of whether you bother with the truffle oil (I don’t) or the lobster part of it.

3 Likes

That reminds me of an asparagus flan with pecorino sauce I had as an appetizer outside of Lucca in June 2018.

Yeah, it was THAT good :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :melting_face:

3 Likes

Shall I start the ball rolling? Matzoh brei with sour cream and ikura - it’s two! two! two eggs in one! Passover is a very eggy holiday, so it makes sense to get started a couple of weeks in advance.

12 Likes

No. Maybe it’s time!

I them all sorts of ways, usually just a simple French omelette with salt and fines herbes.

1 Like

As readers of the Lunch topic might know, Sunday is omelet day, for lunch. They’re usually a little more extravagant than my usual cooking. Today, stage one was havarti and sauteed oyster mushrooms:

Stage two, buttered ramen noodles and asparagus:

The fold:

And onto the plate, sprinkled with vadouvan:

How it looked inside:

19 Likes

I am officially in awe of your mad omelet skillz!

I would probably omit the noodles, but snarf up the rest in a shot :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

{blush} My secret us ultra-low heat, just 1 on my gas range. I like the omelet to be yellow, not brown. Is this the French style?

The ramen isn’t the instant variety. I get packets of fresh ramen noodles from the Japanese market. The packs seem to be individual portions, but they’re too much for me. 1/4 of a packet, maybe a third of a cup, goes into the omelet, and the rest is for lunch later in the week. I really like the mouthfeel of the buttered noodles. Give it a try sometime (maybe with vermicelli if ramen isn’t locally available). ETA: the noodles are cooked before going into the omelet.

5 Likes

Some deviled eggs for brunch today:

The tulip eggs were a PITA but adorable, very much worth the extra effort. Pickled in beet juice, vinegar and sugar.

20 Likes

Very impressive!

1 Like

There’s a childhood taste memory. My mother used to make these for me sometimes when I was a youngster. A very thin (crêpe-thickness) omelet spread with jam and rolled up.

2 Likes