Save My Life, I'm Going Down for the Last Time...

I’m honestly not sure, Tim. I have a vague association from my youth that apparel and footware figured prominently, and that there was a certain grandeur to the space and scope of offerings.

I think that I, like many people, just never much thought about what a department store was or wasn’t. Maybe it was just given a Frankfurtian gloss, like ‘obscenity’–you just recognized it when you saw it.

1 Like

Macy’s Herald Square with a million and a half square feet of retail floor space over several floors probably qualifies.

Bloomingdale’s on 59th St. as well. The Home Store is on floors 6, 7, and 8. Three or four restaurants/bars, gift wrap, tailoring (10th floor) , spa, hair styling, monogramming, shoe repair, etc. Do a search.

The restaurant in Saks is decent: https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/locations/services/l-avenue-at-saks?page=1&services[]=L'Avenue%20at%20Saks&storesPerPage=3

Saks has around 600,000+ square feet of retail space.

3 Likes

Drat! You beat me to it :sob: :clap:

Bingo.

That happens after staring too long at the other piece of wood hanging in @MrGuyGuyGuy’s kitchen that says “Drink!”.

3 Likes

At least our reading comprehension is good.

1 Like

I don’t think this is already here somewhere.

2 Likes

This is interesting, thanks.

“We should have more than the single Walmart option or 100 pages of spammy Amazon results.”

Amazon has become frustrating and useless for “shopping” these days if you are not looking for a specific product whose name you already know. Lots of weird alphabet-soup names with identical product pictures; nothing worth having.

6 Likes

Tim, do you remember the hot mini cinnamon rolls served in City of Paris’ restaurant, Normandy Lane?

I was just at the one in Missoula Montana and their stock was still fairly good. I was trying out how different cookware sets felt in my hand and they had what I think is the bargain basement T-Fal set because it felt nothing like the 8 quart stock pot I have from them. Then I made the mistake of trying the Calphalon high end collection. Night and day, the Calphalon was really nice and stacked well too.
But the sad part of my visit was that as I was ready to leave a clerk was really helpful, asking what she could do to help my search. But the cookware sets I wanted were not in stock and she could not get them. I mentioned that my ex-GF is probably heart broken since she loves BB&B. The clerk just about flinched and she said, “So are we, I have worked here for 14 years.”
Sad days for the people at BB&B. Bricks and mortar retail is tough industry these days.

5 Likes

Oh, it’s worse than that. I frequently have trouble on Amazon finding very specific (and widely available) products I know they carry. It’s like they cast a too-wide net, trying to steer or distract. I find Ebay’s search is far less frustrating and quicker to show me useful choices.

2 Likes

No, but when we wanted baked goods we hit Blum’s or Foster’s. There was always a loaf of Larrabaru’s sourdough and a stick of room temperature butter on my grandmother’s kitchen counter.

2 Likes

Foster’s had a cafeteria on Sutter. I took our then 2.5 year old there for lunch one day. I saw that they had corned beef hash listed and asked the counterman if he could serve a half portion for the toddler. Was told, no, only full portions. The manager walked by and interceded, telling him to fix the baby a half serving. So we got our tray and went to a table, where said “baby” wolfed his bowl, and cooed, 'More hash." “There is no more.” “MORE HASH!” “SHHHHHHH. There IS NO MORE.” “M O R E H A S H !”
And as the old song goes, we’ll never go there again.

1 Like

Agreed. Or I use DuckDuckGo to search for a product, then use an Amazon link. Yes I know about using the search term site:Amazon.com, I just haven’t done it.

The Bon Marche flagship in Seattle had THE most elegant rest room I’d ever seen. Marble, gold leaf, a crazy amount of space. This was circa 1995.

There are 8 Boscov’s in NJ. It’s not my favorite store no matter how you define it.

Very interesting that you mentioned The Boston Store. There was one in my home town (Schenectady, NY) and was the anchor for the local mall. I’m guessing they might be related. I got my ears pierced there.

Got it. I must have missed them when i lived in NJ

1 Like

No offense to Boscov’s shoppers but in my opinion you’re not missing much.