Saucy ideas for grouper steaks

I see that some recipes have you separating the egg whites and beating them before adding the yolks and lemon. This would make the sauce even foamier.

While the clay pot is still out!

2 Likes

So many options! Looking forward to which you choose - that clay pot one might be a winner :slight_smile:

Me too… and I’d do a marinade. This is delish…

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup tomato sauce
2 Tblsp fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic - minced
1/4 cup parsley - chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Set a little aside for basting while grilling, and marinate 2 hours.

2 Likes

Does the meat of the grouper stand up well to bathe in that much citrus juice for a couple hours? I think this could be great with cilantro, too.

I suppose it depends on the type and thickness of the grouper. I use a similar marinade on thick swordfish/shark/tuna/mahi-mahi and grouper.

If you’re using thinner cuts consider less marinade time, or just use it for basting (maybe replacing the tomato sauce with honey/vinegar).

1 Like

Careful making caramel in that pot

1 Like

As another idea - you could make a mango/ginger salsa - Caribbean flair - mango, red onion, ginger, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno/serrano to your spice liking, can add diced tomato if you like too.

2 Likes

I would personally go in a different direction. Grouper is sweet and mild (assuming that IS grouper… it’s pinker than I remember). I like it simply seasoned and sauteed until just done with (preferably browned) butter. Not too high heat. Serve with a squeeze of lemon. Or it’s also very good battered and fried (we make it camping and use bagged beer batter mix. Not sure that works as well for steaks.

3 Likes

Yes! There appear to be many.

This one is supposed to be pink.

2 Likes

Here’s a salmon recipe that explains how to remove the bones from a piece of fish cut as a “steak”. The flavorings might be a bit much for grouper, but the technique is solid for the rest of it.

2 Likes

I found a “Goan” one similar to one of those. Plenty saucy.

Thanks all! I will be back with the results.

This is using the Goan fish curry recipe from Recipe Tin eats. It was more work than I had in mind, and aI somehow left out the tamarind paste; the ingredient that most appealed to me, but once I added it, it seems to be what I was looking for . Not quite flaking, but close

9 Likes

Looks fantastic :star_struck:

1 Like

What did you think?

Did you saute the fish separately?

I was angry with myself for taking this on today; I like Recipe Tin Eats, but I think one of your recipes would have been simpler. I was going to prepare the curry, and then pan fry the fish briefly, and simmer it in the sauce tommorow.

When I first tasted the sauce it was flat, and I realized I had forgotten the tamarind paste! I made this tamarind paste from pods some time ago, and really wanted to use it! I added it, and it was much better.

I briefly sauteed the fish steaks,

then simmered in the sauce.

I liked it a lot, but the bones were a bit much to deal with, especially for husband. I took some off the bone, and then I was ready to be done before I ate much. What I ate was really great, and I hope the leftovers are good.

8 Likes

Sorry it was an ordeal today but hopefully you’ll enjoy it tomorrow. And amazing how the sour note lifts everything else, right?!

Indian curries like this can take longer because the freshly-made curry paste has to be cooked first (vs. Thai curries where the pre-made paste is already cooked down). I just looked at her recipe and relative to what I do, she’s got you frying the paste twice, which is unnecessary: once for the onions, and then a second time for the tomatoes – next time you can puree everything together and cook it down once. (Or, even faster, fry the onions and tomatoes first, before pureeing, then the frying of the paste is much faster – like here.)

ETA: You don’t need to saute the fish first for most Indian curries (Bengali ones are the exception) – they poach in the sauce, which is usually a bit thinner than what you have pictured.

I don’t know why I didn’t think to just suggest a Thai curry, that would have been so easy and still delicious. :woman_facepalming:t2:

(Btw for the steaks, there are two big chunks at the top end you can just pop off the center bone very easily for your husband. It’s the lower (belly) part that has the tricky bones.)

1 Like

Thank you, and it wasn’t really about the cooking.

I was thinking of you, and your help with Hyberdabi chutney. Did I totally hatchet that spelling?

Here it is.

PS I did pull out the big bones from the cooked fish before storage, and I thought the frying might add a bit of texture. It wasn’t in the recipe, and. I probably should have skipped it.

I was going to do a recipe that called for jarred paste but I didn’t have any!

1 Like

The avgolemono with dolmades (or meatballs/Youvarlakia) is one of my favorite Greek dishes. There was a tourist trap cafe in Fira/Santorini that I loved because they prepared this by the tray. It was being rebuilt the last time I visited but I will go back to see if they still have that dish next month.
Most of the time they served it with meatballs but sometimes it was dolmades and I loved them both.
It was Taverna el Greco, opposite the Pelikan if you are in the area.
Sorry for the threadjack!

2 Likes

It’s a wonderful, versatile sauce. I prefer my dolma sans meat, so I rarely get the warm kind with the sauce poured over. And my PIC makes some mean (non-meat, to be served cold or at room temp) dolma himself - such a PiTA to make, tho!

2 Likes