Saucy ideas for grouper steaks

I have wanted to try cooking “grouper” at home since I tried it decades ago at a Club Med in Cancun. Since then I’ve learned a lot about seafood shenanigans and “good” and “bad” lists, but when I saw these yesterday

I bought them without a plan, andhave never cooked grouper before. I can’trememberthe last time I cooked a white fish, or a fish steak.

I’m imagining something briefly sautéed, then sauced with something robust, chunky, and spicy.

Maybe escovitch, a “curry” recipe , or something Spanish.

ETA Maybe something like this, but with good reviews. Haven’t figured out how to gift it yet, but you get the udea.

3 Likes

I’d KISS and let the fish speak for itself (can fish talk?). Butter, white wine, lemon, maybe capers and fresh parsley - the piccata treatment practically lends itself to a nice filet o’fish.

I’d likely grill or broil. A Cajun rub might also work well on the fish. Then I’d just add a squeeze of lemon over the finished dish.

4 Likes

That does sound amazing, and I really don’t feel like making something with lots of steps. Thanks!

1 Like

Fish curry!

Season the fish with a pinch of turmeric, chilli powder, and salt and set aside while you make the curry. Add the fish only at the very end when the curry is completely done, cook for a few minutes (flip once if you can manage, otherwise just submerge it) till just done. Best with rice.

Try one of these — her recipes are generally reliable. (You can sub coconut milk for grated or dried coconut anywhere, and feel feee to cut back chilli and simplify anything else too, it generally works out even with half the stuff :joy: — I made the third one here).

https://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/cook-in-a-curry/maharashtrian-bangdyache-ambat-kalwan/

https://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/cook-in-a-curry/chingri-macher-malai-bengali-prawn-curry-with-mustard-coconut-chilli/

https://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/cook-in-a-curry/goan-prawn-ambotik/

1 Like

I would make a paste of oil, salt, minced green onions and minced ginger, slather it on the steak, and steam it, Chinese-style. Scatter some cilantro over it when it’s done.

3 Likes

Ooh! That sounds lovely, too.

1 Like

I would pan fry it and top it with Chimichurri

2 Likes

I like Greek avgolemono with fish.

2 Likes

Looking that up, and finding soup. Is it also a sauce maybe? For the record, husband likes a lot of “gravy”.

It basically means lemon & egg. A similar sauce is often applied to warm dolmades.

2 Likes

Lemon and egg, yes, whipped up into a foam. I use it sparingly for fish and vegetables, so it’s probably not something that I’d ladle on thick. The ratio is 1/2 lemon per egg. I squeeze the lemon into a straight-sided coffee mug with the egg, and foam it using an immersion blender.

1 Like

I see that some recipes have you separating the egg whites and beating them before adding the yolks and lemon. This would make the sauce even foamier.

While the clay pot is still out!

2 Likes

So many options! Looking forward to which you choose - that clay pot one might be a winner :slight_smile:

Me too… and I’d do a marinade. This is delish…

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup tomato sauce
2 Tblsp fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic - minced
1/4 cup parsley - chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Set a little aside for basting while grilling, and marinate 2 hours.

2 Likes

Does the meat of the grouper stand up well to bathe in that much citrus juice for a couple hours? I think this could be great with cilantro, too.

I suppose it depends on the type and thickness of the grouper. I use a similar marinade on thick swordfish/shark/tuna/mahi-mahi and grouper.

If you’re using thinner cuts consider less marinade time, or just use it for basting (maybe replacing the tomato sauce with honey/vinegar).

1 Like

Careful making caramel in that pot

1 Like

As another idea - you could make a mango/ginger salsa - Caribbean flair - mango, red onion, ginger, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno/serrano to your spice liking, can add diced tomato if you like too.

2 Likes

I would personally go in a different direction. Grouper is sweet and mild (assuming that IS grouper… it’s pinker than I remember). I like it simply seasoned and sauteed until just done with (preferably browned) butter. Not too high heat. Serve with a squeeze of lemon. Or it’s also very good battered and fried (we make it camping and use bagged beer batter mix. Not sure that works as well for steaks.

3 Likes