San Francisco restaurant news and notes 2018

Looks like Tsuta is coming to the Metreon. The nearby Ippudo will get competition now.

https://sf.eater.com/maps/where-eat-drink-best-restaurants-bars-chinatown-san-francisco

YAAAASSS… We are complete converts to Krispy Krunchy Chicken, but the one on Van Ness at 19th has been around forever, from what I’ve heard from people in our neighborhood, just new to us. I only decided to try it after coming back from NOLA in April, and having locals tout their “best fried chicken” as coming from a gas station (Brothers, there), which we never got around to trying. (They also have a KKC there, which we also didn’t try - too busy eating FC at Coop’s and Willie Mae’s). But the KKC chicken is the real deal. And I was shocked as hell that the biscuits (tho they look more like corn muffins, at least here) were as good as they were. Red beans and rice were great too. Haven’t tried anything else. Oh wait, the BF is a long-time fan of their corn dogs ( i had a bite, and not a fan - something weird about the breading there to me). But the chicken is sometimes so freshly made we get it home and it’s still a bit too hot to eat. Great stuff.

1 Like

They are good! I got a chicken head the first time I went, and considered that a sign of good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

:open_mouth: you are a heartier soul than I!

A post was split to a new topic: Craving Chinatown food festival (SF Chinatown)

'14. Hon’s Wun Tun House
Get the #15 (wonton noodle soup with extra noodle and wonton), and be sure to doctor up your bowl with the house chile oil and a bit of white pepper.’

NOOOOOOO! Not with the Hong Kong wonton noodle soup! Maybe with the Malaysian version…

1 Like

Casa De La Condesa Restaurant opened in the Mission. La Condesa? Chilango food? I see some tortas on the menu.

1 Like

Luke Tsai in San Francisco Magazine:

https://www.modernluxury.com/san-francisco/story/brandon-jews-new-lounge-revives-chinatown-relic-the-big-banquet-hall

excerpt:

It wasn’t so long ago, really, that there was a big banquet hall on seemingly every corner in Chinatown and the whole neighborhood buzzed each weekend with massive, raucous celebrations. There was Gold Mountain, which closed in 2011; the iconic Empress of China, whose sweeping sixth-floor views were shuttered in 2015; New Asia, the site of who knows how many banquets thrown by political power players, set to be converted into affordable housing in a few years; and, of course, Four Seas, where Jew remembers attending his own uncle’s wedding banquet. When he was a kid growing up in the Sunset district, Jew and his family would descend on these Chinatown landmarks once or twice a year for red-egg-and-ginger parties, the lavish celebrations that Chinese families throw to introduce their month-old babies, replete with roast suckling pig and dyed eggs that the hosts hand out to friends and family for good luck.

Jeannette Dare’s wedding banquet at the old Four Seas in 1970. Pictured here is Patrick Dare, the groom’s brother.

Photo: Phiz Mozesson

1 Like

El Arepazo SF, a Colombian place serving nothing but arepas, just opened up in the Mission.

https://elarepazosf.com/

(Unrelated but this reminds me that I need to make it to the Sicilian Pizza place in San Jose at some point, but its so out of the way, for me…)

The long-shuttered Palermo Delicatessen in North Beach is now returning as Palermo II Delicatessen.

2 Likes

Amara interests me. I ate twice at Aziza before it closed and while it wasn’t a home run either time, there were significant high points. The Mexican underpinnings could be interesting.

1 Like

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/avocado-con-tickets-48579645026

Sun, September 9, 2018
11:00 AM – 5:00 PM PDT
SoMa StrEat Food Park
428 11th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103

tickets: $6.24
children under 10 accompanied by adult, free

Lovessy Asian Fusion & Souffles Bistro now open at 832 Clement in the former Grindz space. Same owners as the failed Le Souffle at Powell & Broadway,

85°C Bakery Cafe is now open in the Stonestown Galleria. I never found anything to draw me into the dozens of outlets in Shanghai, but then I’m not much of a bakery type. Nice if Stonestown would become a hub for Asian chains, though.

Kaiyo, now open at 1838 Union St. is cocktail bar/sushi joint with a Peruvian twist, from a group that operates boutique hotels.

Think of hofbraus, in the location tradition, as carveries typically offering options across the beef and poultry spectrum: Rotisserie chicken, turkey, pastrami, corned beef, ribs, and roast beef. These beasts came into being during the Post-WWII era, an age of automats and cafeteria-style dining. Following a uniquely San Franciscan tradition of bars that offered “free lunch” to drinkers — a sort of daytime version of Spain’s tapas bars — hofbraus took the cafeteria concept, added a full bar, and charged modestly for food.

A sign at Tommy’s Joynt
Todd Lapin/Flickr

3 Likes

Prubechu is closing.

Jonathan Kauffman in The San Francisco Chronicle

FILIPINO BRUNCH IN SAN FRANCISCO! | 1608 BISTRO RESTAURANT

I am curious how 1608 compares to the Filipino sports bar place in the East Bay (forgot the name…)

1 Like