San Francisco restaurant news and notes 2018

New on Valencia near the 101 off ramp- Nepalese Dancing Yak Cuisine & Bar.

Rose Kitchen, Vietnamese in the Tenderloin.

1 Like

Kudos to Betty Louieā€™s power of persuasion, which also convinced Brandon Jew to open Mr. Jiu.

Chris Yeo may have fallen short in his Straits empire, but heā€™s sure to come up with better fare than befell Cathay House in its latter years. Curious as to what will go into 601 Dupont. It would be great to see some Singapore-style noodle offerings.

You might hit a paywall for this article like I did.

Thatā€™s quick. Besheram is already open for lunch. Has anyone been to Rasoi, the chefā€™s other restaurant in Burlingame?

Spice KItchen, a Sichuan/Chongqing style restaurant opened about a week ago at 432 Sutter St., featuring noodles and ā€œMini Hot Pots.ā€ The menu is similar to, but different enough from Pot & Noodleā€™s to make me suspect it is an imitator, not a new outpost of the Yi Pin empire, but I could be wrong.

Owner of record is ā€œA Bite of China (CA)ā€ and a ā€œJenny W.ā€ responded to a complaint on Yelp.

[Edit - Found a pic of the exterior grom Google and the Chinese name is ā€œChongqing Xiao Mianā€ so perhaps related after all]

1 Like

Oops, didnā€™t notice the giveaway in the thumbnail header. Itā€™s buried at the bottom of the full Yelp page.

Not a question for you Soup, but must they open like 50 shops in the 1 mile radius around Chinatown? Is the demand that high? They are like the Starbucks of Sichuan noodles/ hotpot in Chinatown.

I think itā€™s instructive that Spice KItchen is replacing an Osha Thai outlet. As long as the demand is there and they retain some authenticity, why not? Theyā€™ve yet to reach the equilibrium that Osha Thai (and Naan N Curry) did before facing closures. Iā€™ve long predicted that Sichuan cuisine would take over the world (or at least the chili-headā€™s world) and I think it will prove to have more ā€œlegsā€ than Thai noodles or Indian curry did.

Iā€™d love to see one open on my block. The only thing better would be a Xiā€™an Famous Foods. :wink:

excerpt:

1. Los Shucos
    2 22nd St
    San Francisco, CA 94110
    (415) 366-3868

These dogs come wrapped in bacon, topped with pineppple or grilled peppers, avocado, and a host of other flavorful options.

Filipino-American fusion place 1608 Bistro. @ Franklin/ Bush

Cal-med place- Pearl. @23rd / California

ā€œFunnest.ā€ Ugly word.

Weā€™re crazy about Los Shucos, and itā€™s a very inexpensive lunch.

Los Shucos has been catering-only for almost a year, if Iā€™m reading their Facebook page correctly. (Until looking that up, I was not aware they had reopened at all post-fire.)

The Peninsulaā€™s Orenā€™s Hummus is opening an SF location in SoMa. Anyone know details? The location was somewhere along my walk from Montgomery Bart to SF Moma.

https://modernluxury.com/san-francisco/story/the-best-fried-chicken-sf-just-might-be-mission-gas-station

It used to be that purchasing your dinner at a gas station convenience store was an act of desperationā€”or at least a sign of very poor planning. Then the Louisiana-based chain Krispy Krunchy Chicken came along with its explicitly convenience-store-based business model, offering what seems like an impossibility: exceptional Cajun-style fried chicken cooked in small batches and served hot inside the mini-mart attached to your local gas station.

In the past few years, hundreds of Krispy Krunchy outlets have opened around the country, including oneā€”attached to Gas & Shop in the Missionā€”that a visiting chef from Japan told me was his favorite place to eat in all of San Francisco. If you havenā€™t heard of the chain, itā€™s probably only because, well, dodgy-looking gas station convenience stores donā€™t seem like promising dining destinations. My first Krispy Krunchy experience, in Richmond last month, was a revelation: eight pieces of dark-meat chicken for a mere $8.49, all of it seasoned just aggressively enough, with skin so crunchy that it puts even cult favorite Popeyes to shameā€”and probably your favorite fried chicken spot, too. The chicken is exceedingly juicy and a little bit spicy; the biscuits come drenched in honey and butter; and, gas station setting or not, the food all comes out hot. 599 S. Van Ness Ave. (At 17th St.), S.F.; 575 23rd St. (At Roosevelt Ave.), Richmond

1 Like

Details about the food or details about the restaurant opening?

Yelp has a location

Thanks for the link to the Krispy Krunchy article. I found a location nearby, in a grocery store in Richmond and drove over for lunch. The chicken was excellent. It did remind me of Popeyeā€™s, with the crisp crust (there was less breading than at Popeyeā€™s, too), and it was very juicy. I asked for a leg and a thigh( $4.99, or maybe $4.49), but somehow another thigh found its way into the bag. Less successful were potato wedges, which were a little mealy. The only real problem was that there was no place to sit in the grocery store, so I munched it in my car in the parking lot.

Fried chicken in a gas station? I wonder how often they change the oil.

(Sorry, I think Iā€™ve spent too much time in China.)

1 Like