[San Francisco, Mission] Poc-Chuc

I went to Poc-Chuc in the Mission for a late lunch on a lazy Sunday. A short walk from the 16th Street Mission BART station, Poc-Chuc focuses on Yucatecan cuisine.

I had their eponymous dish, the poc chuc, described on the menu as “grilled citrus marinated pork served with vegetable-bouillon rice topped with grilled onions, tomato salsa and a side of black bean puree”. It was all very good. The pork chop was sliced fairly thin with a nice smoky flavor from the grill and a little citrus flavor from the marinade. Not the tenderest pork but very flavorful. Kind of had the texture of a really thick slice of bacon. It was served with sweet grilled red onions, a cabbage slaw that had some citrus and cilantro in it, a bit of chunky tomato salsa, and a cup of finely pureed black beans. The rice on the side was well cooked and flavorful. It looked like normal white rice but I guess maybe the vegetable bouillon adds a little something to it - it was very good rice. It also came with four hot medium sized corn tortillas which were a little thick and very tasty. I believe they are handmade. Really good tortillas. A large amount of food and a good deal at $15.

Pictures:

Poc chuc (grilled red onions were on the side).

Some of the tortillas.

Chips and salsa. The habanero(?) salsa on the left was quite spicy.

Food menu.

Thanks for the report!

I think I must have bookmarked Poc Chuc for their Yucatecan specialties for like a decade now and still haven’t been. Have you tried their other stuff like cochinita pibil?

I have only tried their poc chuc. Their panuchos looked pretty good too.

(maria ascarrunz) #4

here’s a review I did for Mission Local. I don’t think much has changed since then!

https://missionlocal.org/2016/03/poc-chuc-cuisine-from-the-yucantan-in-the-mission/

Thanks for the link to your review! I pretty much agree with everything you wrote about the poc chuc. Didn’t know you could get refills on those excellent tortillas though I was pretty stuffed after eating four of them. The platillo Maya looks like a good way to try a bunch of things.

(maria ascarrunz) #6

you are welcome!