Samin Nosrat author of Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat has a Netflix show coming

I hate to say it, but I think I agree with a lot of this.

1 Like

The amount of oil in everything was also excessive

2 Likes

Iā€™m preparing the brined buttermilk chicken from HEAT episode this week, so weā€™ll see if the method holds up.

Add a packet of ranch dressing mix and you will be in heaven.

1 Like

What does ā€œoversalted woundā€ mean?

Iā€™ve only watched the first episode, and then rewatched the first half of that again. I think itā€™s beautifully done and the food is amazing. Watching that man make Focaccia, the way his hands worked the dough, confident, assured, but also gentle, almost reverent. Similar with the lady that made the pesto. I loved watching the process, and how it came together as she added the last ingredient, the olive oil, it came alive and I wanted ti try some immediately.

I look forward to watching more.

3 Likes

Is this a joke?

No.

Verb not noun

1 Like

First time around I am going to follow the recipe as written.

1 Like

ChristinaM got it exactly right. ā€˜Woundā€™ as in a road winding through the woods. Too. Much. Salt. All four episodes. Really painful to watch (watch the verb, not watch the noun grin).

I know it was Diamond Crystal, which is less salty by volume, but still.

Maybe Iā€™ve just seen too many of these types of shows, but it struck me as really derivative of Mind of a Chef and Ugly Delicious, right down to the charming tortilla-making ladies. And many of the ooking tips and techniques are pretty known to even experienced home cooks. Not much novel.

3 Likes

I guess everyone has an amount of salt they like to use. I didnā€™t find it to be too much nor too much oil.

My ego is wounded by my in ability to comprehend the written word. Iā€™ll have to watch that in the future. :slight_smile:

Having only watched the first episode I can only comment on the techniques used in it and while not exactly new, I really liked the getting back to basic construction of a dish, especially the pesto. I donā€™t make it that way at home, but I am going to try it.

1 Like

Then weā€™ll simply have to disagree. I found her pretentious and a sloppy messy cook. I interpreted the look on faces of some of the people she interviewed to be pained. I saw errors in fact that any culinary scientist would recognize.

Many cooks, especially those who smoke, use too much salt. She raises that to a new level. Her use of fats is a match for Paula Deen.

Iā€™m happy for you that you enjoyed her presentation. There is no way Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat should be held up as an example for anyone.

Disagree we will, itā€™s what makes the world go around. What were some of the ā€œculinary factsā€?

The salt episode did kind of bug me, she kept referring to miso and soy sauce as ā€˜sources (or was it forms) of saltā€™. They are food to which a lot of salt is added, the only actual source of salt is still the sea.

I think there were a few other ā€œoh really?ā€s for me but I donā€™t recall what.

Babette got one - soy sauce is not inherently salty. Salt is a mineral it is not ā€œall from the sea.ā€ Fat = flavor. There were a handful of others. I shall not torture myself by reviewing 3+ hours of dreck to give you a list.

I donā€™t know how she got on Netflix and was not consigned to some dusty corner of YouTube. Iā€™ll be writing to Netflix to ask.

Did you try it yet?

Friday night.

We are splitting hairs here a little (the salt episode was my favorite of the episodes but I lost interest in the show before I got to the last episode). The formation of salt does require water and the vast majority of salt (NaCl) does come from the sea (the mined salt is from old sea beds - and while volcanic activity can also produce salt through heated water, I donā€™t think volcanoes always form NaCl, there are other ā€œsaltsā€ that we donā€™t really eat - but all salt formation requires water). (Full disclosure, my background is biology not geology but I think that is right).

As far as ā€œsourcesā€ of salt - this seems to me to be a technicality. For the purposes of cooking, they are ā€œsourcesā€ of salt in that if you are adding them you would cut back on any additional salt you would add (e.g. you wouldnā€™t salt a chicken breast if you were going to cook it in a miso/soy sauce marinade because those two ingredients are ā€œsources of saltā€). I think that was the intent of that description.

But I get when you donā€™t like something, these types of things are the easiest things to point out. Just trying to give her some slack.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t mind the show at all . It was so much better than watching some idiot running around with a gun complaining about a relationship , or politics on the television.

2 Likes