Saltine Crackers With Butter On Them Is The Trendy New Snack

Having encountered saltines at the hospital yesterday as a post-surgery snack with a bottle of water (after not having had any liquids in 12 hours), I thought someone was playing a bad joke on me.

“Salty dust” would be a better name for these. WTF.

1 Like

Hope it was nothing serious and all is well.

But saltines are not meant to be a stand-alone snack. With butter or peanut butter or crumbled into soup. But of course hospitals are not known for their stellar culinary choices.

2 Likes

We hope so, too.

It was just an odd choice to give someone severely dehydrated, bc they seemed to suck all the moisture out of my mouth AND the water they gave me to drink with them :joy:

1 Like

That is odd. Last time I was in the hospital they brought me enough juices to drown in.

Hopefully you’re now at home with better options.

Oh, yeah. Got home the same day and had disappointing pizza & much better corn chips :wink:

1 Like

It is probably a matter of time before my breakfast of choice when I was a pre-teen kid is in vogue!
Nothing like a sleeve of saltine crackers crushed up and tossed into a bowl, splash a pint of whole milk on them and a sprinkle of sugar and you are good to go!
Salty, crunchy at first and then soggy with slightly sugary/salty milk soaking in to the crackers…
I have no idea what this actually tastes like now. I have not had it for 45 years. I think I may buy a box of Saltine Crackers this afternoon.
About the time I turned 13 or 14, I went for a much more sophisticated and time consuming breakfast. I would toast two pieces of bread, spread butter or peanut butter on them, a liberal slather of Welch’s Grape Jelly, put them on the bottom of a big bowl and top them with Kelloggs Frosted Flakes and splash the whole shebang with whole milk. I think I ate those bowls in about 45 seconds, much less time than it took to prepare them.
I did not start to gain weight until I was 30 or so, oddly enough.

6 Likes

Crushed saltines in a bowl with milk! I would have never thought of that combination! I used to like to crumble up graham crackers and put them in a bowl and pour milk on them, though! And that was waaay before the “Golden Grahams” cereal was on the market!

5 Likes

I grew up in a family with a lot of kids and not a lot of money. I remember one stretch of time where grocery money was pretty tight and we had leftover popcorn for breakfast with milk in lieu of cereal.

5 Likes

I got saltines too, I forget now why they gave them to me, nausea? I was on a liquid diet for two days so they were the best thing I had to eat.

4 Likes

Just something to have after surgery I guess? Maybe for nausea? I only had to fast after midnight the night before, so I wasn’t starving.

But I probably chugged my weight in water once I got home!

4 Likes

In second grade we made butter! We had a smidgen of class made butter on a Premium saltine. Heaven. Almost a tasty as butter on a Siljan’s crisp bread. :finland:

5 Likes

I tried it again while I was at the lake and it was, ok. LOL!
I liked it while it was crunchy, mainly for the nostalgia factor, though. When it got soggy it was less nostalgic, I think.

1 Like