Saltine Crackers With Butter On Them Is The Trendy New Snack

Wait! You’re insulting vanilla wafers?
Turn in your Midwestern badge, Mister!

4 Likes

LOL, a lot of card carrying Southerners would have to turn in their badges as well! No banana pudding without them!

2 Likes

:joy: :joy:

1 Like

@Lambchop @Respectfully_Declined More Fig Newtons for me! :grinning:

5 Likes

Indeed and sorry for yucking your yum, as they say! I’ll gladly give you my share for life!

3 Likes

Me too!

3 Likes

Graham cracker and frosting sandwiches were a common snack in my house growing up, too. Especially good after a day in the fridge!

2 Likes

That should read when we couldn’t actually eat the cake till later

2 Likes

We seldom had store bought cookies but thankfully my mom was a good cook/baker, chocolate chip, & oatmeal cookies, and the best fudge ever out of the fannie farmer cookbook. And popcorn balls and donuts.
Man I miss her!

3 Likes

Wow! Popcorn balls and donuts :yum:
My mother never had the time (or desire) to turn out next level kids treats. She was always a working mom by the time I was born.
I was a prototype latchkey kid before the term was invented. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Six kids, she was a stay at home mom for a long time. Once she started working we had more store bought treats in the house. For a while I liked those better (funny bones!) but in hind sight my opinion has changed.

2 Likes

I remember the GOOD,homemade popcorn balls you’d get at Halloween.Not the premade crud they have now.

Also a Fig Newton fan…I have always had a very refined palate!

5 Likes

@grumpyspatient - the notion of leftover icing is certainly a curious one! Helping mom in the kitchen when she baked a cake meant getting to lick the icing so none had to be washed down the drain. She’d have to decide between my brother and I which one got to lick the spoon/spatula and which one got to lick the bowl.

Although she undoubtedly had some bowls big enough for me to get my head into, we were more refined than that. We ‘scooped’ the icing off the sides and bottom of the bowl and licked it off our fingers.

As to the original post, ketchup is what you put on saltines - to this day. Butter goes on warm flour tortillas, maybe with a little extra salt

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever put anything on saltines except peanut butter. I eat cheese and crackers fairly often, but I don’t think I’ve even done that with saltines.

1 Like

We made grilled cheese sandwiches with ketchup and those dried onion flakes that everyone used oh so long ago. Not sure where it came from but it was a lunch time staple for us in the summer.

I’m sure there were a few of us with icing in our hair at my house. We always had fun!

3 Likes

My dad ate sardine “salad” (sardines and mayo) on saltines. I remember the year I thought if homemade treats becoming a no-go for trick or treat. Something about razor blades in them?

2 Likes

That was popcorn balls.
Thankfully, I never got sardines in my Halloween bag.

4 Likes

Poisoned candy myths

2 Likes

I also disliked Fig Newtons as a kid but would gladly eat them now. And saltines were something I always liked and still like. As a kid, many restaurants would put a long, thin basket of various crackers on the table when they’d serve the soup and/or salad (“finer” restaurants would serve bread or rolls). The baskets would usually have individually wrapped saltines…and Ry-Krisp and/or Melba Toast in them. Sometimes there’d be Nabisco Waverly Crackers, too.

I haven’t lived in the US since 2009, but are there any restaurants who still do that? I have a feeling that there aren’t.

3 Likes

There’s a pizza\Italian place near me that has a basket of individually wrapped bread sticks (rye, sesame, etc) on every table. This certainly is an exception–not as common as decades ago.

2 Likes