Saltine Crackers With Butter On Them Is The Trendy New Snack

I’m hoping this is satire, but I’m afraid it isn’t.
:slight_smile:

6 Likes

To think I was on the cutting edge, oh sooo many years ago! :joy_cat:

8 Likes

mid-70’s - salt top Saltines and unsalted butter.
a 50 year old “trend” . . .

7 Likes

Yep, and we’re dating ourselves! Mine started at restaurants before that even, with the then always salted butter pats - great for keeping the hunger pangs at bay before dinner arrived, as a kid. We only had margarine at home usually. Yuck.

4 Likes

Just like my Lawry’s Seasoned Salt rating system, a cafe was really cool if they had those hard as a rock miniature bread sticks wrapped in cellophane.
Loved rolling those in the pad of butter.
Those same places usually had the salad dressing carousel that the waitress would bring.

5 Likes

Yes, thanks for the memory - I remember scooping up the butter on the breadsticks - yum! And so many tables had the little jukebox things on the table too! Old, yes :scream_cat:

When I was a kid, I thought cellophane packets of melba toast at restaurants were cool.

4 Likes

One of my favorite snacks, along with uncooked hot dogs .

1 Like

I always took the butter pats home cause we only had margarine, hid them in the fridge for cinnamon toast. Good to know I wasn’t the only one!

2 Likes

Saltines with leftover frosting was a treat for us. A quick treat when we could eat the actually cake till dinner time.

1 Like

That’s a new one for me.
I’m undecided whether that sounds good now but salt and sugar can’t be bad.

2 Likes

Similar here with frosting, but it went on graham crackers.

3 Likes

As a kid, I loved mayo on saltines.

4 Likes

This is from a recent Southern Living newsletter:

If this is cutting edge cooking for some people, I don’t even know what to say. Let’s cross our fingers and hope that it’s all a joke!

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. On the farm saltines with margarine or peanut butter, and graham crackers with margarine were the only snack in the house. Oh, I forgot white bread with Miracle Whip was another. I might get lucky and find a can of fruit cocktail in the cupboard. :muscle:

4 Likes

Yeah, things were a little austere at my house, snack-wise, but very occasionally mom made cookies. More often we had ones I didn’t like, such as Fig Newtons - not a fan.

2 Likes

Loved and still love Fig Newtons, especially when you leave them out for a couple of days, and they get a little stale.

3 Likes

Didn’t see them too much in the house but I hated Fig Newtons too. I like figs now but I’d gouge my right eye out before eating them as a kid.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly the same here & I do like fresh & dried figs now, but still not the Newtons!

1 Like

Did you like those small roundish vanilla cookies that came in a box? That’s all one set of grandparents used to have in their cupboard. I have no idea what is wrong with my tastebuds but those things tasted spicy hot to me.

1 Like