Salads

Use the beet greens for making borscht. The best borscht I ever ate had the greens stirred in just before serving. So fresh!

2 Likes

I love sautéed beet greens! But most of the beets near me right now don’t have them. Later in the summer.

2 Likes

I toast for risotto and some other things. I think it prevents them from getting mushy in case they get slightly over-cooked.

But I can’t detect much of a flavor difference after dressing and other stronger flavors come in to play.

2 Likes

Oops. Forgot to post last night’s salad here.

A very mediocre Caesar from a beer garden.

117D14C6-1EC1-43D5-B949-0D07EE0BEECC_4_5005_c

2 Likes

I am experimenting with preserved lemon vinaigrette.

Just made this one, but automatically included some greated garlic without reading the recipe through.

Here’s mine

It tastes good!

I’m wondering under what circumstances you want to exclude alliums. :thinking: Probably fruit salad.

I’m planning to use this with some emmer farro to use in a few recipes this week, including [this one].

That was a gift link, here’s the picture.

I toasted and soaked this emmer farro overnight and it’s still not soft, let alone “flayed” after maybe 40 minutes.

Similar preserved lemon vinaigrette recipes.

4 Likes

Another wonderful mâche, this time with tomatoes & avocado. Garlicky, mustardy, herb dressing.

4 Likes

Very simple arugula with shaved pecorino dressed with lemon oil / lemon juice / s&p. I totes blanked on my plan to add walnuts, but it was just fine without them :slight_smile:

Oh, and a burrata caprese with half an avocado.

5 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Mâche with cukes in a creamy, garlicky herb mustard dressing.

5 Likes
1 Like

I don’t see mâche around here too often; when I do, I treat myself (of course).

1 Like

I have found the seeds at garden centres. It’s also called Lambs Lettuce, Corn Salad and Nüssli.

Sigh. The best I can do is an Aero Garden. Hi rise …

1 Like

Shrimp salad with Louie dressing. Little gem, celery, green onion, hbe, cherry tomatoes, avocado, asparagus. Toasted garlic butter baguette.

9 Likes

I’ve been lamenting the lack of mâche in the US in several threads. It’s a mystery.