Salad Dressing Recipes that use Mayonaise

I have 4 large jars of Hellmann’s mayonnaise in my pantry, and I’m trying to think of ways to use them up. I figure salad dressing would be a good start.

I made one small batch that had mayo, balsamic vinegar (the cheap stuff), a little cream, a little honey, and salt. It wasn’t bad, but I’m hoping to come up with something better.

Any ideas for ingredients? Vinegar alternatives?

Thanks

I put a tbsp or 2 into my regular vinaigrette recipe depending on the other salad ingredients involved. Olive oil, lemon, salt & pepper, shallot, mayo. Or sub vinegar for lemon. Sub onion for shallot. Add a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche. Add in herbs of your choosing.

also look into Green Goddess dressing (swoon!) so good.

Mayo is also fabulous for dips of all kinds :-> and garlicky aioli.

1 Like

Mmm garlic aioli!
Now I have another option. Thanks

I wasn’t sure about lemon with the mayo, but I guess it’s not any different than vinegar.

Green goddess, 1000 island, coleslaw; also: onion dip, chicken salad.

Add a little Dijon mustard to your dressing.

The Hellman’s website has a range of recipes including a famous, tasty one for chocolate cake. Remember that mayo is mostly oil and egg, so it works in quite a few baked goods and savories. You can use it instead of beaten egg in breading all sorts of things that will be fried, sauteed, broiled, or baked.

1 Like

+1 for adding a big spoonful to a tart vinegrette, works to help emulsify it and make it a little smoother
Something like this, i like a spicy dijon, then an apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar

There are a lot of recipes out there for mayo and breadcrumbs baked chicken and fish, i haven’t made it myself but it’s very popular. Like Greygarious says their website has a bunch of recipes including a version of the mayo chicken

1 Like

coleslaw dressing, ranch, russian and thousand island dressings all use mayo.

brush a heavy coat of mayo on a full head of cauliflower, sprinkle with paprika and bake until tender.

I know my wife uses mayo in baking.

deviled eggs for a crowd😀

1 Like

Add a bit of curry powder and use as a dip for steamed artichokes. And French fries.

2 Likes

I use mayo for a cheater Caesar dressing all the time - just add garlic, anchovies, lemon juice, cracked pepper and parmesan cheese to taste.

2 Likes

Growing up, my mom used to make an amazing chocolate cake that used mayo as a main ingredient. Maybe google can help you with a good recipe.

Lots of excellent ideas provided. Thank you.

One thing I tried was using mayo instead of butter on a grilled cheese sandwich. It was tasty!

I’m tempted by the green goddess suggestions, since I’ve never had it before.

I hadn’t thought of baking with it, but it sounds good. I don’t bake much, but maybe this will push me to bake a cake!

Green goddess dressing is actually really good. With commercial mustard, I would blend in a bit of mustard and lemon juice since Helmann’s is a bit sweet.

Other ideas might include artichoke dip. I believe I have seen a number of recipes that use mayonnaise.

1 Like

Whoops… that should say:

With commercial mayonnaise, I would blend in a bit of mustard and lemon juice since Helmann’s is a bit sweet.

I recall a recipe in Sheila Lukin’s “All Around the World” cookbook that involved slivered onions mixed with mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper, then spread on bread rounds and broiled(?) until puffed and lightly browned.

Not a salad dressing, but the recipe does use mayo
English muffin crab puffs … mmm
My sister would make these on NYE
way better than one would imagine
and as stated they can be frozen

1 Like