Sake

Starting a sake thread! I am a sake noob.

Kaze no Mori “Wind of the Woods.” A nama / unpasteurized sake. Also unfiltered. A bit sweet and fruity tasting - tasted a bit of peaches to me. Slightly viscous mouthfeel and slightly effervescent. I like it.

5 Likes

I had this last night at Izakaya Sozai.
Junmai daiginjo, slightly dry and light. Very nice.

3 Likes

Two of my favorites in the past

3 Likes

I’m such a knuckle-dragger. I drink mine warm. And with a couple of exceptions, I’ve always just hauled home a big old bottle of Hakutsuru Junmai - why? Because decades ago, when I went to buy my very first bottle, the guy in the wine shop told me it was what the Japanese residents at the neighboring hospital bought. Lol.

3 Likes

I like a warm sake every so often. I don’t believe it is knuckle dragging! I’ve only had it in restaurants though, haven’t tried warming some myself.

So what?

You should enjoy sake however you want.

The whole “warm for cheap sake and chilled for premium” is as tired and hackneyed as white wine for fish and red for beef.

I’d rather have a good red with fish than a shitty white with the same fish.

2 Likes

Pretty dry. Melon flavors. No heat. Funky nose. Good with food.

2 Likes

Rihaku Wandering Poet
Junmai Ginjo

Creamy cantaloupe and banana flavors, balanced, good with food.

2 Likes

There are so many sake I like. This is one of my favorites.

Recently, I tried this snow tiger, and I l also like it.

3 Likes

I adore warm sake. I’m novice to sake, but I love the stuff when I have it.

1 Like

Kiku-Masamune Junmai Taru Sake

This is stored in cedar casks, which imparts a richness to the flavor of the sake and a peppery quality to the nose. It was great with my marinated salmon belly bowl this evening!

2 Likes

Had some sake warm today - Kenbishi Kuromatsu, apparently the brewery has been around since 1505.

Quite nice, a bit savory and mushroom-y. Very nice with some blue cheese.

2 Likes

I will have to keep an eye out for that! I’ve had the Kenbishi Mizuho, which I enjoyed (although I didn’t take tasting notes at the time - I remember it was complex, mostly).

1 Like

The brown bottle on the lower left is a rose baijiu from Hong Kong … how strong was that stuff?

You know you stuff. :grinning: It is 48% ethanol.

We had this at a local ramen place a few nights ago. This clocks in at 15% ABV. It was very, very smooth. A touch of earthiness to it, which complemented the wood ear that came with my ramen. Very nice, overall, with food.

1 Like

2 Likes

Good ( you drunk three more bottles) or bad (everything down the drain) ?

How about “I finished this bottle and not really in a rush to get another one, though I am glad I did have this one bottle”?

2 Likes

Den Original Junmai Nama Batch #18, a local nama / unpasteurized sake from local brewer Den Sake out of Oakland, CA. Very nice.

3 Likes