S&P grinders.

Hopefully Santa will bring me a pair of these which can be used single-handedly. I need them for seasoning raw meat, using one hand to rotate/manipulate the meat and the other hand to operate the grinder.

Any good or bad experiences with these please? Any good makers, or bad ones to be avoided? I guess electric may be the answer.

I of course know that I have existing solutions to this, but I like to keep raw meat & fish etc off my two handed pepper grinder.

Gave up on the one-handed pepper grinder after it slipped out of my hand and into a pot of soup. Possibly it was made for a larger handed person. Now I just wash my hands all the time, or use tongs when possible to keep my hands and my grinders clean.

Iā€™m guessing you either need the bunny rabbit squeeze grinders:

http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-PepperBall-Black-and-Clear/dp/B003F6GKZU/

OR,

The one handed battery operated grinders:

http://www.amazon.com/Epar%C3%A9-Battery-Operated-Pepper-Grinder/dp/B00C3OK4TS/

NOTE that Iā€™m not recommending either of these specifically, just the style.

I had the bunny eared one but like Ferny, I dropped it in a pot of red sauce and there was no getting it clean. Now, (like Ferny) I just wash my hands a lot.

HTH

1 Like

I see big chefs using this one on TV shows. It even has a light and you can change the grinding size.

I donā€™t own it personally, I have Peugeot salt and pepper mills, the classic wooden ones with U-select, really happy about them. I prefer to grind the pepper in a bowl beforehand, and sprinkle on the meat if there is the need of 1 hand on meatā€¦

I owned the Chefā€™n PepperBall mill. Itā€™s an average mill, not a lot of pepper coming out and itā€™s quite tiring to do it with 1 hand. I just use it for fancy spice and salt mix or pepper that I used once a while.

Mine worked pretty well, but after dropping it in the sauce I went back to basicsā€¦

1 Like

Thanks All.

I think Iā€™ll go for the bunny ears and try not to drop it!

hereā€™s a thought . . .

this OxO was highly recommended -

I could only find it on-line.
a $12 grinder? how could that really be so good?
but given the recommendation from a trusted posted and seeing how if it bombs Iā€™m not out a lot of moneyā€¦ I bought one.

there is a knob on the bottom. find the grind you like for general purposes, then you can click finer / coarser as needed but the knob has very definite click positions - I can always return to ā€˜exactlyā€™ my preferred setting.

next up - it has a bottom snap on plastic tray. I didnā€™t have much faith it that eitherā€¦
but it works, it continues to work 2+ years into use.
with a bit of experimenting, you can deduce how many turns it takes for i.e. half a teaspoon of grind-du-need. pre-grind, pop off the bottom tray, one handed sprinkle as neededā€¦

end of story: altho I was prepared to spend the bucks, the $12 Oxo provides excellent control of grind size, repeat-ability, clever tray, easy to ā€œcleanā€, easy to loadā€¦ cotton picking dang excellent chunk of hardware - they should charge moreā€¦

Thanks, but Iā€™ve always had the option of pre-grind into a bowl and sprinkle with my free hand. What I want is a one handed grinder.