Russell and Bette's Rumson

Jen

Ok you took the time to write this so I shall respond. I will start by saying I find it hard pressed that you are acting in sincere regard for the restaurant for which you work, since you are taking such a defensive stand and have pretty much dismissed all area’s of concern for our less than spectacular experience at the establishment under your management. All except for the egregious offense of smoking in the parking lot while playing on your cell phone like a high schooler outside a local mall. Rather I think this is a foolish and half hearted attempt to bring some attention to the restaurant or “advertising” by bumping this up, if so I’ll be glad to humor you.

Thank you so much for your feedback. By the way I was the Manager, My name is Jennifer. I agree personal breaks including eating or smoking should be out of sight of guests.

Not sure if you realize this, but our experience was over 9 months ago, I barely remember many of the details of our experience, however you remember you were the manager on duty that night? Ok if you say so.

However I have to laugh upon not taking the time to read the menu, we are at fault.
laugh away

In addition the chef at Russell and Bette’s made the move from Woody’s last month. I think it’s so interesting that you would compare at all as the concept and menu are from two completely different restaurant’s. You know like apples and oranges.

_Again, my comments were 9 mos ago, so unless you are claiming i’m psychic I had no way of knowing the Chef from Woody’s made the move to Russell and Bette’s. I also fail to see where in any of my comments I compared Russell and Bette’s with Woody’s. In completely unrelated comments, I suggested The Pour House and Woody’s to @Metsfan86 who was looking for somewhere to go for reasonable steak. Never drawing a comparison to Russel and Bette’s, sorry for your confusion, more like apples to nuts. _

Have you ever cut a steak to order?
I can assure you I have cut more steaks than you have taken public smoke breaks

Quite frankly it is a sad that you don’t fully understand how special and unique WYB was. It can’t be duplicated or whipped up like a recipe from the Betty Crocker Cook Book.
Well perhaps you should tell this to your own boss, who on April 14, 2016 had the following to say to the Asbury Park Press

Longtime diners at What’s Your Beef have been worrying for months, since word began to spread that their beloved Rumson restaurant had been sold.

But there is no need for concern: The steakhouse is in good hands.

That is why, Schlossbach said, she and her team are dedicated to keeping the feel of the restaurant much like it has been for the past four decades. “There’s a lot of people who have been coming there a really long time,” she said, “so I think that we owe it to the memory of it. I see the same faces over and over again there, so people are very consistently supportive.”

“I don’t think you find many places like that, restaurants and watering holes combined, that kind of have an energy when you walk in that feels very rooted,” she said. “We’re trying to protect that.”

What’s new?
The menu at What’s Your Beef offers something different for Schlossbach, whose other restaurants serve “vacation-inspired” dishes born of the chef’s travels. Longtime customers of the Rumson restaurant favor the salad bar ,which remains, and the desserts, for which Schlossbach was given the recipes; she will tweak them with her own roster of sweets.
And she has added some new dishes, nods to the food served at her other restaurants. These include appetizers of fried olives with lemon basil aioli, coconut shrimp with chili lime sauce, and crab cake over arugula and tomato salad, a brisket and flat iron steak burger with port wine cheddar sauce, and entrees of pan-seared scallops with brown butter, and grilled vegetable risotto.
“We’re trying to keep people happy the best we can,” Schlossbach said. “We’re making a commitment to look at what is there and who the people are that support it, what it means to them.”
Quite frankly it is sad that either your owner didn’t fully understand how special and unique WYB was, or completely overestimated her ability to continue to run it in the manner she represented when she purchased it. Don’t preach to me about not understanding when NOTHING your owner said above was true upon my visit to your restaurant. The salad bar was gone, the menu COMPLETELY changed and there was 1 actual steak on “steakhouses” the menu.

Do you realize that most of the staff stayed on and although you feedback is I’m sure well thought out, have you considered how it affects the pockets of the servers with whom you affect by the comments made. For instance Gita who has been a server there for 50 years and is all she knows?
Do you realize I sat in your restaurant for just under 2 hours and you had 1 table in your dining room, and you are trying to shame me for your servers problems? That is laughable. Perhaps if they had a manager who took time to listen to customers concerns and critiques more people would come in to dine and tip.

_In a_ddition your facts about portion size of the salad are incorrect.
I can’t even find where I said anything about portions size, no idea what you are talking about

You contradict yourself, Boeuf Bourguignon is generally not served with Spaetzle however that was acceptable where the chefs interpretation of a wedge left you dissatisfied because admittedly you didn’t take a moment to read the description as a first time guest. In addition this was an item he had as a special a Woody’s.
I really can’t believe I’m about to have this conversation but here it goes. A wedge salad is served with (generally) a 1/4 head of ICEBERG lettuce. (get ready for this one Jen, you might want to have a seat when you hear this) thus creating a WEDGE on the plate!!! It’s LITERALLY a WEDGE OF LETTUCE/SALAD on your plate!!! It is IMPOSSIBLE to achieve this geometric shape with romaine lettuce. You can have hearts of roman, leaves of romain, chopped romain To use your comparison on the Boeuf Bourguignon, if I receive that and it’s made with chicken, or pork, or turkey then it’s not a chef’s interpretation it’s a different dish! I never said the salad was bad, it just wasn’t a wedge salad. Also you make the Woody’s reference again, this was apparently 8 mos prior to your new chef joining so I guess that’s like comparing apples to oranges. "

Best wishes Jen
I wish I could share the same sentiment to you Jen, but honestly I don’t wish you the best, espeically based on your response here. Instead of taking this opportunity to prove yourself concered about a customers experience you use the forum to try and justify the shortcomings of my experience. Heck, even with your own smoking in the parking lot you say: strong text "I agree personal breaks including eating or smoking should be out of sight of guests. _You know what you didn’t say? I"m sorry" As a manager of a restaurant or any business you have to be able to admit your mistakes and if need be, apologize. ESPECIALLY if your behavior might have given a customer reason not to return to the establishment under your management (Sorry for you Gita, I truly am) . . _

Sorry Jen, I don’t think you did yourself or Russell and Bette’s any favors by responding.

14 Likes

It’s a shame this site doesn’t have sound so you could hear the applause…

6 Likes

mike%20drop

4 Likes

lol honestly am I nuts? WTF was that all about? Holy crap did she piss me off. lol Let me ask you a question (@seal too, wasn’t Marilyn originally part of this thread? Or was there another thread she participated in?) I really want to print a copy of this and mail it to her.

@paryzer…mic drop!! Hahaha it took me a couple of mins to figure out what that little guy was doing.

3 Likes

I remember the Marilyn thread :smiling_imp:
lol, you had me at “I can assure you I have cut more steaks than you have taken public smoke breaks”
The response sounds like it came from a very young inexperienced employee.
EDIT: or Marilyn

2 Likes

Here’s a link to Marilyn’s first comment on another WYB tthread:

2 Likes

lol thank you very much!! Some day I’ll learn how to search for things like a big boy. (or maybe not be so lazy!!) Thanks again Elsie!!

2 Likes

I think Marilyn posted on a different thread (maybe about the transition?), but you have every right to be pissed off by that post. It’s a vivid reminder that regardless of how generous Marilyn is from a community perspective, her staff needs some serious training in basic hospitality skills.

3 Likes

I sat with Marilyn for a while after the initial posts. I gave her a lot of positive suggestions and told her I would be happy to help out in any way I can. I never heard back from her and none of the changes I spoke about were implemented, nor has the place changed for the better since. I like and respect Marilyn but food is food and service is service and neither one depends on whether I like you.

7 Likes

You bring up some valid points. I do appreciate your feedback. You are not wrong and if my response was not in a helpful vain I do apologize. Perhaps my reaction was not given with most constructive approach. If you could understand when I read some of the comments or constructive criticism it hits a nerve. At this point the team I work with I respect so much. I am sorry and it is my sincere commitment that was the catalyst of my reactive behavior. It was an employee that brought your post to my attention and I apologize for my reactive comments. We all make mistakes and I think I have a greater perspective. I have done my best we all have and sometimes these comments hurt and my reaction was fueled by the concern of an employee and my desire to champion their personal reaction. I did love WYB and have many great memories there. It has been an arduous journey and sometimes the obvious or criticism cuts deep. I don’t think your comments aren’t warranted. I also wish to have a voice that finds some balance and positive depiction of how far we’ve come. I do apologize as well as recognize not every choice or decision went in the wrong direction. We did do our honest best to maintain the concept and quickly realized we were in over our heads. The choices made were with the best intentions. I am not young or inexperienced which perhaps made your comments feel more personal. I learned something valuable here and hope you accept my humble apology.
Jen

6 Likes

Jen,

Well I certainly do appreciate the change in attitude and tone in your latest response. It’s either a sign of your sincerity or the fact you are a glutton for punishment, only time will tell. (joke) Here is some friendly advice from someone who has spent a lifetime involved in or around the business.

The first and most important thing I can say to you is the golden rule of hospitality, which is:

“The customer is always right”. (you failed this miserably)

I honestly don’t see or know what you took so much offense to in my original post. There were plenty positives, most importantly were the food. I clearly said my meal was very good, including the “spaetzel”. The sandwich my buddy had was good as well but perhaps a tweak in preparation would have made it excellent from good. Even the salad which I took exception too was still good, I never complained about it other than it’s name/description. I even took time out to compliment you (still assuming it was you working that night) and Liz. The smoking critique was an after comment; you were still pleasant to deal with on the floor. So there were plenty of positive things for you to take away from my original review of my experience instead of focusing strictly on the negative.

Let me tell you how I would have handled things with the acquisition. Since Marylin went public with “keeping things the same” you (not personally but the team) should have made a sincere attempt to keep them the same. I really don’t buy the fact you can’t train someone to cut steaks to portion, honestly you put a disclosure on the ordering board;

“cuts within .250lbs are considered accurate and will not be re-cut.”

I could teach a drunk monkey how to cut a piece of steak, then "trim’ it to within the .250lbs. It’s all about the trimming you cut “larger” and remove fat or tail meat. It’s not rocket science.

Even if you there was too much waste with this method you could have switched to pre-cut portions. You still walk up to the counter you have pre-portioned steaks in either 10-14-16oz. on display and the customer walks up and “pick their cut”, 90% of the charm of the original concept. WIN !!

Now remember my drunk monkey trimming steaks within .25 lbs…I said you trim some fat or tail meat off. Even if you had to actually trim meat off the steak, do you know what I would have done? I would put a “scrap” bucket in the display case, so all actual cuts of meat plus some fat) goes in the bucket on display for all to see with the steaks. Then I would have put a meat grinder behind the line, in public view and I would have created the Russel and Bette’s “What’s Your Beef Burger” and made a tribute / memorial fresh ground burger to the menu. Now you’ve created 110% of the charm of WYB. WIN/WIN!!

Even if these both ideas “failed” than nobody, including myself, could say you didn’t try.

None of this took place, which makes it reek that it was never the intention to keep any of the “old charm” of the place. Maintaining a salad bar and bread warmer proved to be too daunting? C’mon Jen……it’s me….who are we kidding here?

WYB was a niche, it had the uniqueness of being a neighborhood (in an excellent neighborhood) bar, with the wonderful unique niche that also made it a destination restaurant. You stripped it of that quality now, making it just another mid level restaurant. There IS NOTHING to draw people to this restaurant anymore, you stripped the uniqueness and placed it with-in direct competition of Salt Creek, Undici each with-in 1/8 mile of you. You are undercut in price by Barnacles and Surf BBQ (within 1/4-1/2 mile), and you are within 10% entree’ price from Fromagerie.

You voluntarily removed your unique market advantage and turned it into a disadvantage. Based on my experience, which was over all favorable however it wasn’t favorable enough for me to bother going back. You aren’t in Lavallette or Asbury Park Boardwalk, you don’t have the foot traffic here you are on the Peninsula - where you need to bring your “A” game, I didn’t experience that.

I’m not trying to be critical I’m just trying to be real. (Don’t believe me, ask Gita, I’ll bet you dinner she agree’s with 80% of what I’m saying) This is the truth from my experience and from others I know who have given it a try. Now I will say best wishes/luck - apology accepted. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I may have missed it, but here is my question…

Why did they change something that was working? It wasn’t the best food around but wyb had charisma and people liked the joint.

2 Likes

Hubris?

1 Like

“C’mon Jen……it’s me….who are we kidding here?”

I believe we need this on a bumper sticker. :joy:

2 Likes

I step away for one day and miss perhaps the best thread in HO history.

4 Likes

Let me know when the smoke dies down so I can give this place a try!

I’ll bet she did.

The operative word in Rumson is Rum, as in immagonnaget me sum… Rum. Drunk rich people with credit cards could care less if they are eating Barf Bourguinon.

Barf on a Plate + Liquor License = Another Monmouth “Success” Story !

Beef Bourguinon in a steakhouse is a code name for left over beef from the weekend that was about to go bad.

1 Like

Somebody wanted to retire, and somebody wanted to buy the liquor license.

The food is an afterthought, apparently a fleeting one.

Wow ! I wonder if Pat La Frieda got his start this way?

e899d2bf5fbe6b3eacf3aba8cd65e4d1

Yes but what were they smoking?