The Victory Park Tavern (Formerly Russell and Bette's) Rumson NJ

So it would seem as if you have a…

4 Likes

It looks like that post to your blog’s facebook was made around 3 AM.

If you google victory park tavern rumson nj the 2nd & 3rd search results to come up are from the Hungry Onion thread. If they’re not doing well, I can see the owners/managers/staff sitting around after hours blaming all of their woes on those nasty hungry onion people rather than on the poor choices they have made and the implementation of those choices . Since you have more of an online presence than most of us (many of us are not even on facebook), you’re just an easy target.

I must also point out that you are a poor choice to target since you do have a blog to respond with if you ever chose to.

5 Likes

Exactly.

I guess they learned nothing from the incident last year when what’s-her-name was on here attacking people. I had and have no desire to blow this thing up, but I certainly could if I wanted to.

There seems to be a common thread with this place, and that is employees going out of their way to attack people who complain. I’ve never seen a restaurant take such a proactive approach in doing something a restaurant is never supposed to do.

I really wanted to try Victory Park Tavern (I follow them on Instagram and the remodel does appear to have been well-done) and write a review, but they are not getting my money. At this point, if the experience was a poor one, they would claim the review had an agenda. So there really is no point.

5 Likes

From the TRT review on FB comments

Capture

All being said the reno looks really good. I was driving home from the ferry last night and it seems they have replaced the bar windows to where they now can open them to the street in warm weather. It did look very inviting and the wife mentioned we should try it…might have to appease her. Will let you know…

3 Likes

Deleting post.

I’m just confused as to how they are adding more “American food.”

Sounds like with all this reasonable detective work you also may get some vague messages written by a teenager! Watch out!

2 Likes

I’m just sitting here shaking my head. There are so many things ANY restaurant can do to make the place look POSITIVE, and this group doesn’t seem to get it. I mean that collectively, because if the owners aren’t aware that their staff is doing it, they’re still to blame; if they do know it or (worse) put them up to it, then shame on them for not paying attention to their online presence outside of what THEY post. It’s 2019. Everyone can see what you do/don’t do when it comes to a public business. You don’t have to hire an expensive firm to do this right.

@gcaggiano I think your response was right on target–and I agree that there’s no point in your blogging about them because of their stalking.

What’s that song…? Thank you, NEEEEEEEEEEEEXT

2 Likes

Poor @CurlzNJ! Sounds like you are also now set up for an onslaught of messages! Be strong!

2 Likes

gotta say- menu looks decent- should appeal to a good array of people…no clue about execution however…trying to be positive here…lol…

2 Likes

Another restaurant using the term kobe :confused:

2 Likes

I noticed they are doing a burger night, is The Rumson House still doing one? I wonder if they are trying to cut in on their action.

They had one when they were R & B. It was $15 for a burger and a beer. Not sure if still the same but that’s a good deal. I had wanted to try it.

The tavern burger and french onion burger sound tasty on paper.

I think the rumson house is still doing the burger and wine glass combo for 25.

I haven’t had it but I’m thinking a barnacles cheddar burger and an LIT is probably going to fetch my 20 dollars

Just checked the website. Yes, they are doing Burger Night on Tuesdays @$25. Includes complimentary house wine or bottle of beer.

Ok folks, your boy Notjr said he would take one for the team and being the man of my word I am , I have returned with my report!!

Arrived at 7pm with the intention of eating at the bar but much to our chagrin the bar was full. So were at least 1 of the high tops so a table for 2 it was! Honestly I was a bit shocked that at least 80% of the main dining room was occupied! (There were only 2 tables in the back dining room so maybe 65/70% full on a Tuesday) We were seated at a two top and greeted shortly thereafter by our waitress. Tap water served in a chilled bottle is always a nice touch, menus and specials were presented.

We chose:
Apps: Crab bisque (special) and Crab and Corn dumplings. ( they were out of the dumplings so we took eggplant meatballs off regular menu, waitress apologized for not telling us in advance the dumplings were 86’d)

Entree’s:
Salmon on a plank and Lamb Chops (special)

The crab bisque truthfully scared me on appearance, it was too dark, oily looking and just not visually appetizing. (See pic) I stirred it up and looked for pepper to add, no salt/pepper on table. After waiting a few mins the same runner was dropping food to the table next to us I requested pepper. (While making the pepper mill motion) She quickly returns with a pepper shaker. {{sigh}}

Much to my surprise and delight the bisque was very good.

The eggplant meatballs were served at least 5 mins after the bisque and they were good as well. The meatballs themselves were better than the sauce they were served with but I will say that is personal preferences.

Our entrees came after an appropriate pause, the salmon was enjoyed by my wife as were the lamb chops by myself. The only problem with the entrees were the size/portion of my lamb. Yes they were double cut but 2 of the 3 Chops I cut and ate in one bite. Yes I have a big mouth but still these were tiny.

Overall it was a good experience. The food was very good but the service had a few hiccups. I did not see a floor manager but I did notice @gcaggiano stalker was bartending.

We never received bread which all other tables did. I think they will continue to do as well as they seem to be. I really wish they had someone watching the floor, I think the chef /owner was at the grill window but he can’t see everything from there.

As I left at 8:15 there were still people coming in!

10 Likes

Nice report. I’ve been in rumson all night. I would have stopped by for a round :wink:

The lamb looks like they cooked it to temp.

I’m going to derail this thread but why are lamb ribs so expensive? I’m good at screwing things up

Ok, now that I am in front of a computer I will elaborate a bit more on my experience. I’ll be perfectly honest with all those reading this, we (myself included) have poked a lot of fun at The Victory Park Tavern due mostly to the horribly executed change from What’s Your Beef to Russel and Bette’s. The entire Marilyn Schlossbach debacle is over and this place does deserve to be judged by it’s own merit.

I will admit I came in fully anticipating another shit show like my Russel and Bette experience, this was not that at all. As I said the place was jumpin’ for a Tuesday night and there was a good “vibe” in the air, again completely opposite of R&B. While the food was good, it’s certainly not ever going to be a food based destination for me, it’s really a more casual fare type place than fine dining. They have 7 entree’s that include one pasta and two steaks, so there isn’t a huge range of cutting edge culinary options, in contrast there are 9 sandwiches /burgers on the menu. This shows you where the focus is, again the entree’s were good - but not exceptional enough to go out of your way for.

As I eluded to in my original post, the biggest “problem” from my experience were service faux pas. I was seated at a table with a bench seat and a chair, I chose the chair which kept my back to the bar, I was facing a wall and could only observe the two tables on each side of me. I never saw what would resemble a FOH staff/manager. As the matter of fact I only saw our waitress and a bunch of runners / bussers, not sure they were staffed for the amount of people they had. (could just be my lack of ability to see) Nobody besides our waitress checked on us which is a pet peeve of mine, what if I have a complaint about the waitress (I do not), I’m certainly not going to share it with her.

The runner when they brought each course should grab the pepper mill coming out of the kitchen and have it with them when serving. They should also know when someone request pepper, ask fresh cracked or table. I’m sorry but I really do enjoy my bisque with fresh cracked pepper and I could see the mill sitting there. Also as stated the other app came a good 5 mins after the soup, perhaps they coursed it that way, but I don’t think so since the waitress apologized for the delay. No biggie.

So again, they do seem to be doing a good job and serving good food, there just isn’t a “must have” on the menu. If I’m in the mood for a great burger I’m sure as hell not passing Barnacle Bill’s to go here. If I want a sandwich I’m also not coming here to grab one.

So for me it’s this, it’s a good local place to grab a bite to eat. Would I go out of my way to come back, probably not but at the same token I would never refuse or discourage someone if they wanted to try it.

So please…give The Victory Park Tavern a try if you are in the area. I wish the owner/chef well and I do expect they will be around for the long haul.

7 Likes

While I am glad that @NotJrvedivici did not have a bad meal here, I’m still thinking that there are better food options in Rumson from Val’s to Surf.

5 Likes

Why do you have to be so mean to them

5 Likes