The Victory Park Tavern (Formerly Russell and Bette's) Rumson NJ

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Yeah please @seal, lighten up. I can’t take anymore of their abuse. :joy:

2 Likes

Most likely they case but nice to hear they are st least making an honest effort here. Esp in light of the sh$tshow the last go round was. More options the better, esp for the nights when bb is railed.
Speaking of Surf has anyone tried since they dropped the barbq only theme. I wonder if quality is still as good for the q? Also wonder if focus is still there since he’s trying to build another empire in Staten Island.

We went here tonight with the kid and another couple. 545 reservation. We waited an absurd amount of time. Like walked out at 8 pm absurd. It was busy but not packed. I saw a few empty tables. We actually got sat with a larger table who ate, paid and left before we got our entrees. I dont know wtf happened but they comped us a round which was appreciated. The food wasn’t exciting or unique (full disclosure we all ordered restaurant week menu). The service was non-existent. Our server was very sweet but extremely overwhelmed. Luckily we like these people and our toddler was basically on her best behavior of life or this would have been a wildly unpleasant evenings. We will not return.

3 Likes

So you said you were comped a round, just out of curiosity was it from a manager? Did they seem to have and FOH staff on the floor?

1 Like

After we asked where our food was after at least an hour and half of waiting, our waitress said it was coming and she wanted to buy me a drink. I already had one and a full one in front of me so offered it up to the table. Gave it to our friend. I said to the table she should have said a round for the table but whatever (doubt she heard me). When the bill came she said they took off a round and apologized again. I’m not sure who really sent it but neither the host or any manager visited our table.

2 Likes

Hopefully you can follow this story. If you are counting, I’m 2 drinks deep! :joy:

4 Likes

We went last night with a 6 p.m. reservation. To our surprise, the car did not go automatically to BB’s. The small parking lot was full but we parked close by on the street. An owner parked his Porsche SUV illegally in the lot as we walked in. The bar was full. Two tables were occupied in the dining room. It was nearly full when we left at 7:10.

The hostess explained that the Jersey Shore Restaurant Week offerings were on one side of the menu and the other side reflected a skinnied down version of their regular menu. She pointed out that burger night was still an option. Our server repeated the info but added that burger night included glass of beer, wine, or soda. She put the beer list down as she said this.

We ordered adult beverages to start. My Cosmo was made perfectly. I ordered from the restaurant week menu (eggplant meatballs and spring gnocchi), and my DH ordered the burger. We each ordered a glass of wine from the wine list that was on the table. The eggplant meatballs were just okay, no eggplant flavor. The gnocchi dish was a huge amount considering how heavy gnocchi can be. The dish was fresh and lovely but we kept comparing the flavor of the gnocchi themselves to what we had in Sorrento. In these, we didn’t taste potato. My husband enjoyed the burger and the fries. I forgot to ask whether the fries were frozen.

As the place filled up, the service slowed. Friends of one of the owners (Rob Laub, who was a partner with Marilyn from the previous incarnation) were seated at a round table across the dining room from us. Our waitress was stuck there as the owner held court with them. She kept glancing our way, knowing it was time to clear our plates and get to the next course. We ordered desserts to take home (old-fashioned chocolate pudding and fresh berries).

When the check came, we were charged for the glass of wine that we assumed came with burger night. The server now clarifies that it comes with a glass of house wine, which of course makes sense; however, that was not made clear to us by either the hostess or our server and house wines are not listed on the wine menu. Our server had an opportunity to point it out when my husband ordered a Cabernet. We really didn’t mind paying for the wine as we rarely prefer a house wine, but feedback is sometimes valued. Also, it was implied that any glass of beer from the list was included. I simply said to our server that that point was not made clear, and she scurried off. A female hostess/manager (?) came over and without making eye contact said “Okay. I took it off. But now you know for next time.” I tried to engage her in conversation but she too scurried off. It was off-putting.

So no personal introduction from our server, no owners/managers/FOH asking how things are. Though Mr. Laub made eye contact several times, he spoke to no one but the staff and his friends. No major problems but no big wins either. Just not my scene.

6 Likes

It seems like I’m starting to sense a trend. The place has potential, but I really don’t think it’s going to rise above being a local watering hole to grab a bite to eat, but not a destination. It’s hard to say now that we/HO are being mean to them when multiple reports are coming back with the same repeated issues.

3 Likes

Funny, I was thinking the same thing–person after person reporting the same issue on here or in life = I’ll believe it even if I haven’t tried it myself. I don’t check other sites.

3 Likes

Just a casual observation. It seems to me that one of the hot trends around the Monmouth County wealth belt is to buy your own restaurant just so you can hold court there. First I noticed this at the crappy place they turned Catch into and now it sounds like the same thing here.

3 Likes

see also: Nauvoo in FH- such wasted potential…that could be an amazing spot with location and interior.

3 Likes

It seems like the RusselandBette website is no longer. And the new site has a new uninspired menu bereft of the old favorites (their short ribs were excellent and are no longer on the menu.). I live nearby but the new menu gives me no reason to even try it.

1 Like

The menu is the same as what it was during my visit 3 weeks ago. Interestingly though I see the are advertising live music now on Friday and Saturday Nights. (well not now since it seems it started in beginning of April) That’s a cool touch, I occasionally like to go out for live music, one of the only reasons I’ve stepped foot in the Colts Neck Inn over the past few years.

I’ve been once and have never been back. When I went it was very new as r and b. I didn’t have a bad time but nothing lured me back. After going, I just said to myself, “why did they screw up something old school that worked?”

Jr, where do they put the band? (If you have a clue)…just wondering.

On the topic of wondering, what is going in the old mariannnes on 537?

I would “assume “ back where the high top tables are in the bar area, maybe they clear the tables out?
Dude, they demolished Maryanne’s like 2 years ago and the vacant lot has just been sitting there. Recently a for sale sign went up on the property along with the lot across the street that came with it.

Yeah I should have said “what’s going up on the old Marianne’s property”

I haven’t heard anything

1 Like

I was curious so I googled. Learned that property was purchased in January 2018 and the new owner demolished the building. I thought perhaps the owner put it back on the market, but the real-estate sites say the property is no longer for sale. I saw one instance of the liquor license being for sale for $525,000.

The license was for sale with Kilbride whose family farm I have been getting my Christmas tree’s from for 20 years!

I actually inquired about Maryanne’s when it was still for sale, they were already in contract but the sellers had hard feelings with the buyers and were trying to back out of the deal. I was trying to be the back up offer but it never came to fruition.

The plan was going to be to buy it, build a house on the lot (across the street) that came with it, sell it, remodel Marryanne’s into a family friendly pizza place, move the license to the then recently vacated Huddy’s location in the strip mall on 34. (since the location was already built out as a restaurant / bar it would require minor remodeling updating) Obviously that plan never panned out.

2 Likes

anyone been here lately? Wondering how they’re holding up?