The Victory Park Tavern (Formerly Russell and Bette's) Rumson NJ

any chance you’ve seen him using a laptop? Asking for a friend…

3 Likes

Can’t tell if your question is rhetorical…Laptop man said he was a playwright who frequented this watering hole. Peter’s writing style is not pompous from what I read on Facebook. It’s plain and normal.

1 Like

So who is going to take one for the team and check it out with the recent changes? :slight_smile:

The new sign was not up as of Saturday night.

Not it.

2 Likes

I vote for Greg! I’m sure the review would be very informative and/or entertaining.

1 Like

I’ll pass on this one. The vacuum effect of Barnacle Bill’s would lasso me in right past this place. :smiley:

1 Like

On saturday the bar was looking packed. Maybe this place will turn around. I drove by at 715 on my way to BB. Time will tell

I started a part-time/temporary blogging consultant assignment with a client in Rumson two weeks ago. The topic of food always comes up as it is going to be a lifestyle website. I will have to ask her tomorrow where she and her family eats. I am curious to know what actual Rumson locals think of the place.

3 Likes

I have a completely baseless theory that Rumson-ers are all super rich and have private chefs and no need to really go out.

3 Likes

Bar only seats 14 so always looks crowded

yeah I wish…

Funny I have lots of friends who were super regulars at WYB (my wife’s Aunt actually used to live in the apartment upstairs!) that have yet to set foot in the place.

I want to try this place out of curiosity and to support Peter, but I fear the same vacuum effect of BB’s.

Sign’s up…

3 Likes

Wow, that sign looks great! Nice choice by whoever picked and/designed it. Hopefully someone takes one for the team and goes soon.

1 Like

Woke up to find this on my Eating New Jersey Facebook page:

Really came out of nowhere.

2 Likes

Did they say anything else? Who is this person anyway?

Nothing else and no idea.

I responded saying they should create an account and join the discussion.

1 Like

So as I searched Eating New Jersey on Facebook and that is your page that you put together to support your blog, or whatever. I didn’t see the post there nor did I really see any blatant HO branding on the site, so someone took the time to research you enough to know your connection here? Would that be accurate?

I also looked up the person who made the post, they don’t indicate any formal connection with the restaurant on their page. Odd to say the least

1 Like

A little sleuthing shows there is a server named Ali who worked at Russell & Bettes and is probably still there.

This is the page the screenshot is from
https://jerseybites.com/2018/07/a-lady-walks-into-a-bar-russell-bettes/

1 Like

Yes, it would appear someone took time to research, or they already knew of me/my blog’s existence. No way to know.

I responded with this:

I encourage you to create an account and join in on any discussion. This blog is in no way affiliated with the Hungry Onion- I am just a member.

This person reaching out is more than odd/random. I have never reviewed or even mentioned the restaurant on my blog, only in discussion here (the last of which was weeks ago, and what I said was far from scathing). Ironically enough, it was I who extended the olive branch, so to speak, last summer when we had that whole fiasco with one of their employees attacking people on here. I could have written about that incident on my blog and blew it up. However, I chose to simply relay their message to the forum and left it at that.

2 Likes