Rondeau pot

Question for anyone, I am in the market for a copper rondeau or casserole pot. Is it better to go with a low side approx. 3.5in or higher in the 5in. range? Also do I want one with a lid or is it better to use parchment paper.Thanks for any advice.

I can’t speak to the pot issue but I can say always use a fresh Rondeau, the frozen ones are kinda sketchy.

and on a more serious note . . .

the shallow one are limited to ‘one layer’ type preps that also don’t need much stir&toss procedures (unless you do that in a separate pan)

frankly methinks the shallow kind are best for table presentation - altho they do excel at dishes where you need to “brown the top”

the double loop style handles are a factor. doing a saute / browning, for the same size pan, would you prefer a longer handle or a loop handle? otoh, once the dish is done, what presents better at the table? a long gawky handle or two cutie loops?

if you have any kind of limits - budget / space / sanity / … - consider that the deeper casserole style is a lot more flexible. soups to stews to chili.

all that said, a polished shallow dish of (pick yo’ meat) marsala makes a big table impression…

Thanks that clears a lot up for me

Hi gearguy,

First I will admit that my actual culinary skills need to catch up with my cookware preferences.

I would rather go larger on a rondeau than smaller. I think 28cm is a good size for a rondeau. In fact if you are after a heavy gauge copper rondeau, instead of getting a single handle, 28cm 2.5mm saute, I think the two handled 2.5mm rondeau is more manageable weight wise.

In 24cm range of a pan that shape I would prefer the single handle saute, but if someone was maybe a little older or female, but still wanted the heavy gauge stuff, I think a 24 cm two handle rondeau would be a good match.

I tend to like the deeper rondeau and even a rounded bottom one. Not sure about a side by side, but I believe the 28 cm Matfer 2.5mm is more shallow than the 28cm Mauviel 250c/b. I have the 28cm 250b and like it a lot.

I think falk has some rounded bottom options and De Buyer Prima Matera is 2mm but one model has rounded bottom.

I prefer the lid also. Do you like brass/bronze, SS handles, or cast iron?

Thanks the one I am thinking about has 2 brass handles,4mm thick and SS lined. It is 11in diameter at 5.75in. high. All my copper is tin lined and I am worried about the lining in such a thick pot. Just don’t know about SS and copper.

4mm thick? wow thats crazy. I have more SS lined copper than Tin. I know the tin might release food a little better.

Gearguy, do you care to give your source or is it a one off? Brand name ? I occasionally hear of 4 mm pots with tin linings in that size, but not with stainless. Except Atelier Villedieu/ Gaor 50 - which is very unusual, with a thick stainless lining… Anyway, stainless linings are fine. And some nickel plated pots look very much like stainless.

No problem, this is coming from ESTY from a vendor called French Antiquity. I have purchased several pieces from him and he is outstanding but this one like you said is different. The pot only says made in France which concerns me.

The “Made in France” should not be of any concern. The weight is the main thing really. This is probably the best quality offered by a major manufacturer, like Matfer or Mauviel at the time it was made. It’s definitely not tin.It may be stainless or nickel plated.

Thanks for the info and help. Nickel plate does not bother me at all and the weight, well let’s just say that I lift boxes all day in a big brown truck so that will feel normal.Also this vendor is selling it too me much cheaper than the list price so I think will take the plunge and purchase it.

1 Like

Great, I meant that heavy copper is a good thing and probably a better indication of quality than a ‘brand’
stamped. I do think it’s likely nickel plate, it’s hard to tell, but if you’re curious, if you study the edge, it will be thinner than stainless, and magnetic- especially the inside bottom.

Stainless liners can be perceived (as thin as they are) as having some thickness when compared to an electroplating. Even more interesting is that stainless used as liners may have some magnetic quality along the sides of the pan, but not on the inside bottom. It a decent magnet sicks to the inside bottom, it’s probably nickel. There is also a chemical test that you can buy that’s relatively inexpensive. Nickel is more durable than tin, but not as durable as stainless, and some people develop allergies to nickel.

1 Like

Thanks so much I agree with you that it is nickel.Thanks everyone for all of the input it really helped.I