Romertopf Clay Baker and other Clay cookware

I think that’s a Bourgeat 24 cm Dutch oven, even better in my opinion than Mauviel.

2 Likes

Oof, you’re right! My sauté pan is a mauviel, this one is a bourgeat

LOL, real knowledge is always welcome.

Yeah, well, you were a bit cryptic. I too hold (and used here) ‘mediocre’ neutrally as you do. But I’ve learned that some CI–and clay–zealots get triggered.

It depends on the Romertopf. The company makes stovetop-compatible vessels.

I see. I was trying not to be too pedantic about how people use words.

Stumbled on this ( this website sells Romertopfs)

The author notes;

“Previously, American markets had been supplied with Mexican-made versions of the clay pot. The easiest way to tell the difference between German Romertopf and the Mexican-made version is by checking the bottom pot. German-made Romertopf has always been made with a glass-glazed interior, while the Mexican pots are not”

Looks like it’s never been used. Price?

Sorry, no. Never heard of hotels.com

1 Like

Great article , and I love Kitchen Kapers. I’ve ordered stuff from them for a very long time. I’m sorry I’ve never been in their actual store in Philadelphia. I’d probably never leave.

1 Like

Yes, this is blindingly obvious–that Romertopfs (since 1966) are intended for modern oven use. Did anyone here suggest they’re not? I wouldn’t try burying one in hearth or campfire coals, though. Would you?

That said, some clay pieces can be used stove-top. Is it possible someone makes “baking implements” out of Burgundian clay or ceramics? https://www.emilehenryusa.com/collections/sublime

EH Romertopf

Emile Henry makes a great product for what it is but that’s a modern industrial process that gets fired at temperatures way beyond the capabilities of the kilns the traditional clay pots that I usually use are capable of. Those are, in fact, very similar to cast iron pots and compete in their home market with le creuset much more than a dauberie made in a traditional workshop in Provence.

Here’s the Emile Henry description

Flameware, the popular name for flameproof ceramic cookware, is newer on the market, but it’s extremely practical. This type of stoneware contains mineral elements that keep vessels from expanding and contracting with sudden changes in temperature (as conventional stoneware does), thus allowing them to be used over direct heat on a stovetop or even under the broiler.

And for contrast the type I’ve been showing pictures of:

Earthenware, which can be glazed, partially glazed, or unglazed, is sometimes called redware or terra-cotta, and it is the type most often cited in this book. The pots are low fired at 1,800°F to 2,000°F, and as a result they remain porous and are thus able to “breathe.” They can also expand and contract enough that some of them can withstand direct heat. (A major exception is the Romertopf clay baker, which works on a different principle and should never be placed over direct heat.) When using earthenware, either on the stovetop or in the oven, moderation is always key, as quick changes of temperature may cause the clay to crack.

There’s an in between process called stoneware that’s typical mass produced baking stuff

1 Like

Yes

Mediocre does not mean neutral for more people. Heck, even “average” does not mean average anymore.

1 Like

Maybe, but that’s a sad commentary. Everything is not good, much less excellent. ‘Mediocre’ fits.

1 Like

If you’re interested in some charming videos of a handsome man traveling around France, Spain and Portugal, cooking traditional dishes in the area where they originated, by all means check out Pete’s Pans. Sometimes he uses the traditional pot the dish was originally cooked in.

If it doesn’t interest you, just ignore it.

5 Likes

This would probably be appreciated over on the “What are you watching” thread

1 Like

Could anyone from admin or the moderator team explain how this personal attack on another member (which to my knowledge has been flagged multiple times by multiple members) is allowed to remain up?

Are there special rules of engagement for members that are also part of the moderation team?

I think that would be rather odd, especially in light of @SCK’s recent post in site talk.

I will address that. That post has been removed.

Thank you, much appreciated. I was surprised something like that would stay up this long, regardless of who posted it.

This article is mostly pseudoscientific gobbledygook. The only theory here that is remotely plausible is the “pores” hold and carryover “flavor”. Chefs call this flavor ghosting, and almost universally consider it a serious flood flaw. If If the theory is correct, one would expect a well-seasoned cast iron pan’s fishy carryover flavor to extend to clay vessels (nevermind that Romertopfs have glazed bottoms). Maybe the “pores” can also absorb soap and rancid oils?

The “slow and gentle heat” idea makes even less sense. If bringing an oven dish up to cooking temperature slowly made a difference, or leaving it in the pot longer to finish, that would be written into preps. Basically you can do that with any construction. And “gentle”? What’s that mean, lower"?

I found the following sentence in this article fascinating: “The funny part of these scientific principles is that ancient cultures seem to have figured them out a long time ago.” No they didn’t–that’s all they had to cook in!

I will suggest a theory that makes more sense to me, and might explain some’s preference for food from unglazed clay vessels. Alarash? Maybe include this in your testing?

That is, it is well known (see, McGee) that oven cooking in covered vessels results in internal pot temperatures 10-20F higher than the oven temp. If the clay vessel, e.g., Romertopf, is soaked in water beforehand, it’s possible that evaporative cooling causes lower ullage and content temperatures for some time until the water cooks out of the clay. That’s possible and measurable, and perhaps verifiable. But again, that could be replicated in any pan construction (by lowering the outer temperature, using a doufeu, or draping wet cheesecloth over the pan). In any case, I wouldn’t expect a true blind taste test under controlled conditions would somehow make clay-cooked food distinguishable.