Romertopf Clay Baker and other Clay cookware

You’ve beaten it to death; it’s exhausting.

2 Likes

… and then cast it off again.

At least try to find one that has interesting embossing–they have at least as many “special editions” as Nordic Ware has bundt pans.

Or, just buy a flower pot. “Sub teste” is advanced Etruscan technology.

Interesting that Rick recommended the unglazed interior which was made in Mexico.

I couldn’t find a price on it. That’s another reason I didn’t buy it. I don’t like being suspected (silently) of having removed a price tag. Also don’t like being sized up by the shift manager who gets called over to price the item when you’re already at the register. The price at that point always seems to be on the high side.

I’ll play, too.

I have an unglazed clay Yunnan soup pot that makes out of this world chicken soup. Would I get the same results in a Dutch oven? I’m not sure, because the way the pot is fashioned allows for a somewhat unique inflow of condensed steam. I love the result.

2 Likes

Yours look like this? I suspect that a traditional Dutch Oven will have a difficult time to reproduce the result just because the mechanisms of cooking are different. If I have to bet, a steamer will have a better chance to reproduce this than a Dutch Oven.
FYI for other people. It is an unique way to steam/double boil the chicken. One major difference from true double boil is that steam is allowed to get inside the vessel and slowly adding liquid to the soup
These can be stacked, so numerous vessels can be used at the same time – much like how you see bamboo steamers can be stacked.

7 Likes

If I’m the Rick you’re talking about, the pots I recommended are from Columbia, not Mexico. The brand is la chamba. They sell some sizes on Amazon for the same prices, including shipping, that they sell direct. Here’s the importer

2 Likes

So what do you think of this cooking vessel – a partial steamer and a partial double boiler.
Clay being a good insulator will reduce heat loss to the environment, and also because clay is a better insulator, the top part of the vessel will be cooler (more thermal gradient from bottom to top) and have better condensation back to the pot.
Not to say this cannot be done with a metal pot, which there are some variations.

1 Like

Are there 2 layers in the clay pot?

Just one layer/one piece in the pot. There is a lid of course.
You can stack them, then of course becoming two pieces, three pieces…

Ah ok — double boiler in that the clay pot goes on top of another pot. I thought both layers of double boiler might be clay.

You are correct. You can think of this as an adaptor on top of another pot. The bottom can also be a bigger clay pot and that is more likely the case in older time
This one is in fact clay Yunnan steam pot on top of a regular clay pot.

It can be on a metal stock pot

Or on a a wok

Or an electronic control water reservior

4 Likes

I think that the design will circulate very moist air when lidded, and contain/accumulate what water condenses . The food contents will also get some heat via conduction from the central “stack”.

Here’s tonight’s dinner, just for the two of us sitting at the bar.

Turkish kofte in a Spanish cazuela, bulgur pilaf in a cute little la chamba covered oven. Made the vegetable in a conventional skillet.

I’m guessing you folks can guess at the cost of the demeyere skillet, I think the cazuela cost me eighteen bucks at an Uber trendy gourmet shop in soho (nyc)

2 Likes

After thinking about it and reflecting on these things I’ve seen in use, I think the internal spout is intended to allow steam to pass with no condensate leaving the pan (and/or putting out a cooking fire). Foods would heat faster than in pans without the spout, and some aroma (from the steam) can flavor what’s put atop. For hotpot fondue/shabushabu, even a weak fire would keep the broth hotter between dips.

Not sure if you are referring to these Yunnan steam clay pots. Some people do add water upfront to speed up the process. So it can definitely be done in that way, but what makes it unique (and also the most prized approach) is not to add water and simply let the steam condenses and form the soup.
Put the ingredients without adding water

After cooking for a few hours, then the soup will be done

The second video is more condense and easier to see:

Definitely without adding water is the key. I haven’t added water from the beginning to test the difference, but the broth from the no water added method is memorable.

Thanks, Chem. I was referring to both the clay and metal pots. Obviously the clay ones won’t conduct much heat directly through the spout, but the heat of fusion will, through condendation from steam.

Do you know: Is it possible to start with no liquid, leave it on too long, and overflow the pot(s)?

Yeah. I think that is what makes it most different than other cookware. I have seen people add water up front, and they will work more like a regular double boiler, I think.

I would think so. The guy from the second video did say … “check it once awhile, and when the water level is the same as the spout, then it is ok”

1 Like