Roasts!

age old cooking adage:
more better taste = salt + fat + sugar

we’re not encumbered by “medical” salt limits - just simply taste evolved into “not so much salt”

works for us, might not work for others. heh, it’s a “taste” thing.

I track temp vs time for holiday turkey / prime rib / etc. using an oven proof temp probe and Excel. it’s exceptionally handy for tweaking oven temps to hit “done temp” to “table serve” sit&eat timing.

without question . . . not everyone is as geeky as I am. works for me, in-progress tempt chart looks like:

3 Likes

Yours is very close to mine except I have the clock time followed by elapsed. I’ve got 2015 and pretty much every year going forward for turkey (Thanksgiving + occas) and SRR (Christmas + occas), and sporadically a few years before that.

But I rarely tweak temps as I go because as they’ve aged my crowd has gotten more tolerant of “we’ll get there when we get there”. So after an initial ~ 25 mins of hot/crust step, I turn it down and leave it, just trying to record temps every 20 minutes (Even Nerdier Than Thou!) for the first couple of hours. After about 90 minutes I can have Excel draw a trend line projecting time of finish temp, with not great but okay accuracy (roughly +/- 10 min).

well… the projected done time is based on the slope of the temp rise, which is established by the frequency of measure.

15 mins / 20 mins / whatever - it’s mucho better than the usual “X mins per pound” recipe guidelines.

the actual oven temp - yeah, that should be checked vs the “dial” / digital setting.
one needs an independent thermometer . . . and golly-gee who could guess or suspect not all oven thermometers are accurate . . . . oh, the humanity . . . .

ATK did a comparison/evaluation.

I have some ex-USN mercury glass used-to-be-calibrated thermometers which I could use to validate the ATK results.

it is true that residential oven temps are not often “accurate” - so it’s an exercise worth doing.

I can and have reset my oven calibration vs. a Taylor in-oven thermometer. Years ago ATK liked Taylor, but I let my sub lapse a long time ago, so I don’t know if it was in the round of testing your current link covers (paywalled).

The other thing is that my oven is off in different directions depending on whether I’m cooking at high or low temps. When cooking at 550 set, I have to go into cal mode and add 35 degrees to hit or get close to the 550 set. With a set point of 400, I have to add about 10 degrees to cal.

But if cooking at a desired170 (like for drying foods), I have to go back into cal mode, put it to minus 15 degrees, because even at null call (zero added degrees) it’ll be between 185 and 190 actual.

methinks’ you’ve got a handle on the issue!

Heck yes. I also like to shred, homemade chile sauce and enchilada that pork.