Roasted tuna recipe?

Years ago on a Tahitian island in a fancy French restaurant, I had a roasted tuna that was very well cooked, tied with a string and it was excellent. The meat fell apart (like a very well stewed meat) and there was no pinkness. It was not dry at all. I’ve searched but not found any prep remotely similar so here I am inquiring if anyone else is familiar with this method. ??

You could try oil poaching, which I bet would provide similar results. You want to keep it as moist as possible when cooking to well done.

5 Likes

I did find that method and wasted a good piece of tuna trying it. Was awful, worse than canned tuna! Thanks for the idea though.

That’s really strange. Sounds like…sorry…execution error. Did you overcook?

Was it roasted with other things?

I used to like my fish cooked through, but tuna was always an exception - it so rarely flaked without being dry.

If you didn’t like it poached it oil, try it en papillote with seasonings & vegetables added - cooked either in the oven or steamed stovetop.

Here’s a method that sounds like it might yield the results you are looking for although I suspect you would want to season it differently.

HTH

I wonder if the loin cut may be too lean even cooked in oil. Maybe the belly with more fat would have worked better but not easy to find

1 Like