Roasted red peppers - bitter?

I have made roasted red peppers more times than I can remember, but this time they have a really bitter note to them. I made them the same way as always - charred in the oven, steamed then peeled and seed removed. I put a little balsamic and olive oil on them. I don’t know why they have this very sharp, bitter taste. Could it be that charring the peel burned the pepper? Any ideas would be appreciated!

I make them exactly the same way as you. They’ve always come out lovely and sweet. My guess is it’s just those particular peppers. Or maybe you roasted them on a higher heat for a shorter time than normal? This may have made them bitter.

1 Like

Unless you “over charred”, I can’t think of a reason. And that can’t be it as, if you had over charred, you’d have seen the burnt pepper when you skinned it.

Bitter seeds before you did anything.

1 Like

I wonder if that’s it. I never quite get rid of all of,them

1 Like

I’ve had it happen. The seeds can turn before the fruit starts to show signs of aging.

1 Like

Lately, after my last red pepper fiasco, I have been using Ina Garten’s method.

I am not making the basil oil at this point, but sounds good. I find it to be a good method for roasting the peppers. First off, you take the seeds out while they come out easily so no messy seed removal once roasted. Second, the skin doesn’t burn as much just wrinkles and its much sweeter.

1 Like