RIP, Choco Taco

3 Likes

You’re a breath of fresh air today! :joy:

1 Like

Not surprising to hear this as I have never had a good one. Granted I have only purchased them in supermarkets… but they were never crunchy (more like wet cardboard), and the consistency of the ice cream was horrible (with the edges being more like frozen jello). I won’t miss them… or any other Klondike bar for that matter.

My fav bar is this Haagen Dazs Vanilla/Milk Chocolate/Almond bar, and that hasn’t changed in years… highly recommended if you haven’t tried one.

I do have fond memories from my childhood of the ice cream truck’s 50/50 bars (orange/vanilla), but in recent times (i.e.decades) I have never found one that was worth a damn… so any suggestions would be very much welcomed (maybe I should start a thread on this).

We don’t even seem to have ice cream trucks anymore.
I’m not sure the creamsicle brand exists anymore. I loved those too.
Agreed about the Haggen Dazs bars.

2 Likes

I am sad because I don’t think I have tried them yet.

1 Like

It does–I’ve seen them in the supermarket.

2 Likes

There are definitely ice cream trucks in my 'hood and all over Manhattan.

1 Like

They are definitely there; https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.970024331.html

Question is if they are any good?

1 Like

All over Toronto, too.

RIP indeed. I loved the Choco Taco as a kid - all the flavors of a Nutty Buddy but a better ice cream to cone ratio. Disclaimer: I probably feel that way because I don’t really love cones and I prefer a soft/chewy texture to a crisp one.

2 Likes

Never heard of it, but Broken Palate wanted me to know.

I signed up for Broken Palate’s emails and there’s almost nothing I care about there. You?

I don’t know. I get so much stuff, I don’t always pay attention to where it’s coming from. I guess I’d remember if I was often getting good stuff.

1 Like

If I see an ice cream truck in my country hood, I’m donning kevlar before I approach it.

Why?

There’s nobody but a few families where I live. Halloween, I get two visitors (two kids up the road), and they get BIG candy. It would shock the few people that live here to even hear one. My wife and I are the only ones that’ve ever experienced the magic of the ice cream truck. Must be some nut if they’re on my road. Approach with caution.

1 Like

Oh. Like if I saw a tractor on Houston St. But I would be more curious than fearful.

1 Like

We were convinced that the Mr. Softee truck in our Queens neighborhood was selling drugs on the side, because we would hear that #$$@#$ jingle at the weirdest hours.

2 Likes

Absolutely! Good Humor man was legit, and seemed more affordable (toasted almond, strawberry shortcake, 25 cents!) but for Mr Softee, I think ice cream was the loss leader.

In St. Albans, in the seventies, there was the afternoon Mr. Softee and the evening Mr. Softee.

2 Likes