Rethinking the Basics--Pot Washing

I do the same thing, but instead of a glass bottle, I use one of those pump dispensers that squirts out foam.

This is why I asked in the other thread about the Dishmaster–the suds are diluted and pumped out of a tank, and through the brush. U-U-Ugly as sin, but then so am I…

Sounds like you’re fishing for a SCOTUS nomination. I take it you’re not an originalist?

Yeah, I have that experience too. (not sure why it took me this long to see your post). So I ended up dumping the water and wash it once more time. Instead of rinsing more, I am thinking about using lesser amount of dish washer too.

Hi, Chem:

In the time since the OP, I have switched from liquid dish detergent to liquid dish soap, specifically from the Dawn Ultra detergent to Meyer’s Clean Day soap. I’m not having the same issue since the change.

For me, the moral of the story is that sheer surfactant power and longevity and price aren’t the only factors that matter. The soaps seem to rinse cleaner. And I’m happier without the petrochemicals hanging onto my cookware, plates and utensils.

Aloha,
Kaleo

Good to know. I will have to pay more attention too. The other thing I know is that hot water rinse better, but of course hot water requires more energy as well.

My observation is that most people, especially Americans, use too much soap. Unfortunately reading the label is of little help since the manufacturer is trying to SELL SOAP. grin

I don’t have footnotes to demonstrate that scents and dyes are in any way “bad” but it is not clear to me what they contribute to the dishwashing process. No dyes - no scent - less soap.

If you get a pot clean (ignoring soap residue) the best and easiest time to get soap residue off is right then. The longer is sits the harder it will be to get off. Less soap, more elbow grease, more rinsing.

YMMV.

Hi, Dave:

I think you may have touched upon the best argument for an automatic dishwasher–automatic, thorough rinsing.

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

Interesting. I used to use the Meyers Clean Day in the Lemon Verbena scent. After a few months of use, I noticed that two of my spatulas had started to smell like the soap. I stopped using it and replaced the spatulas. I don’t think it was the soap because nothing else that was washed with it picked up the scent. I think it had to do with the properties of the rubber used for the spatula.

I now use the original blue Dawn in the original scent.

The product I use at the office is called "dish liquid " at home "dish detergent ". Both scented. Either way no residual smell. Wonder if it’s a hard vs soft water thing.