Rethinking the Basics--Pot Washing

If you drink the water and it seems fine and dandy then isn’t that it?

You have a great sense of smell . Anyway I’ll pitch the Bialetti mocha express for a great cup of coffee . Rinse it out with plain water , no soap . I love mine and the coffee it makes .

OK, Zen it is…

I know from making wine that certain chemical compounds, even if they are in concentrations well below their taste thresholds, can affect the overall quality and sensory evaluation of the finished wine. An example is TCA (2,4,6 - trichloroanisole), which is one of two villain compounds in “corked” wine. Professional tasters can train themselves to perceive cork taint in wines with a concentration of only 5 parts per TRILLION. Most of us mere mortals have a much higher threshold for detecting TCA, yet many of us can conclude by tasting that something is just off in some ineffable way.

There’s also the problem of habituation–the telltale corked odor is ephemeral and fleeting unless the concentration is relatively high. Just as people become habituated to the lingering smells (read: stench) of scented laundry detergents and dryer sheets, cooks may well become habituated to Eau d’Awn.

I have chided some pro wine tasters over TCA-training themselves so well they can’t enjoyably drink the large numbers of fine wine choices which have concentrations far below the untrained palate’s thresholds–they deny themselves real pleasure. They respond that any TCA is a defect.

I’m just wondering aloud if there’s a similar perception/habituation thing going on with dish soap…

Aloha,
Kaleo

So how did the water taste???

Hi, Cath:

Well, to go about this the right way, I boiled one bottle of bottled water in a washed and well-rinsed saucepan. I set another bottle of water aside. There was the same noticeable soapy scent (Dawn Ultra Escapes “New Zealand Springs”) in the steam.

Then I let the boiled water cool, covered, and then put that water back in its bottle. A-B-ing them in a Bordeau stem, there was a difference. I’m not sure if I’d describe the boiled one as “soapy”, but there was a definite difference.

Aloha,
Kaleo

PS: Just to avoid questions about leaching, I boiled the water in the most inert lining I own–one of my hated LC ECI saucepans.

If it makes you happy, analyze it to death.

I’m trying to wrap my head around what it must feel like to have that much time on my hands.

2 Likes

Gee, maybe you have less time now than you did in September 2014?

It’s not a new question, either. See, http://www.chowhound.com/post/taste-dish-soap-dishes-372885

There are people here in Québec who do that as well. It has always horrified me.

I put everything in the dishwasher :astonished:

Just rinse better IE with some friction not just the force of the faucet.

Here’s a new project for you! LOL. Just kidding.

I scrub til my pots look pretty much like the day I got them and rinse like crazy using really hot water. Soap residue has never been an issue for me.

1 Like

A 5-minute google and time to boil, rinse, etc really arent the same thing.

You spending time to analyze it doesnt annoy me. Cant say the same for the spending time to call me out.

And if you really need to know, I was unemployed in Sept of 14. Now I’m not.

1 Like

Well there you go. Thanks.

Hi, please keep in mind that not every topic is to everyone’s taste and there are discussions of various topics here for everyone. Please do what you can to make this a lovely forum to share knowledge, skills and interests. Thanks!

4 Likes

Don’t have a dishwasher. And not much room, or need, for one.

I’ve had the misfortune of realizing something smells soapy after I’ve started cooking too, but it’s few and far between. I usually am an overly aggressive rinser (with the dishpan hands to prove it).

The aeropress has so many nooks, that I tend to do more of a thorough hot water flushing and rinsing right after, and then a full clean out with soap after a few uses. Since I tend to use one type of bean for a while, I don’t notice any off-coffee smells or tastes. I do worry that plastic vessels can absorb more of the smells of detergents or foods over time.

Interesting question. Being wary of how much chemical stuff goes down the drain and into the river, I started diluting dish liquid 1:6 in a glass bottle with a pour spout. A few sloshes works just as well as the old method of glugging an unknown quantity of viscous stuff into the water. That says to me the stuff is highly concentrated.

What do you have against clean fish?

“A well-regulated fish being necessary to the feeding of a free State, the right of the People to keep and dump petrochemical detergents shall not be infringed.”

1 Like

I just googled dirty fish and yikes! Let’s leave it at: what Kaleo said.