Restaurants that I go back to. Gene's Flatbread Cafe Woburn.

Sure do! That little strip is long gone, replaced by condos.

2 Likes

That was so much fun! And @greygarious organized! I truly think that event helped Gene’s be discovered by a wider community.

The good news—for me, anyway—is that I can still easily get to Gene’s Westford location for takeout.

FWIW, that old location was home to other shorter-lived eateries before Gene’s. So that tricky, obscure space was already fitted with a kitchen. You might say the spot served as an accidental culinary incubator. (One of the previous tenants was an amazing home-style Brazilian place that lasted only a month or so—never found anything else like that, before or since.)

4 Likes

It did, because one of the attendees knew the person who writes the Globe’s Cheap Eats reviews, and arranged for Gene to be featured.

5 Likes

That must have been such a fun event. I wish I were old enough to have been alive back then…

(Sorry! It’s my senility talking.)

3 Likes

I think I remember missing that. :frowning: I have many fond memories of the spot in Chemsford, and a bunch of photos from their last days there. The new spot in Westford (?) is not quite the same. None of them are. And I am sorry to have missed the Brazilian place as well.

3 Likes

Weirdly, on my phone’s UberEats app, Gene’s appears as “currently unavailable” other than on Friday afternoons. That’s when I ordered a few weeks ago. At that time, for the heck of it, I went back to the app at 6p.m. Again, currently unavailable. Friday dinner hours? SMH!
Anyone else experience strange app order hours? And despite what the menu says, Gene’s isn’t on my GrubHub or DoorDash apps at all. I live pretty much midway between the Woburn and Westford locations. (I’d do pickup but am no longer driving.)

Anyway, I just relished my dumpling soup, and will mix the #4 and #9, for weekend meals.

2 Likes

I think we still have a stuffed Lowly around here somewhere.

1 Like

I hope you get the pension benefits that I once heard were supposed to be good.

I know someone who was an MD/PhD student at Stanford in the 1980’s. We visited Mendocino, a coastal town north of San Francisco, together. It’s a beautiful place and has some quasi-New England coastal architecture. He wistfully talked about how he really wanted to work for the post office in Mendocino and ditch the medical/cancer research training. Thirty plus years later, he now says he wished he’d taken the exam for the USPS.

1 Like

This is an interesting dive into Xian style noodles:
http://www.bbc.com

The link just goes to the BBC.

Hmmm…that’s all that comes up when I attempt a link. I also got there by searching “bbc news travel china food april 14”, where it was the second article. But it only offered the same link as above.

Is this the link?

1 Like

Yes, that’s it. Thanks. I don’t know why I couldn’t access the complete link.

1 Like

Now I know what’s for lunch! Questions are #4 extra spicy with added on meat or #2 Lamb Hand-pulled Noodle Soup? Thanks for the post. Gene told me about the character on my first visit to the Chelmsford location.

3 Likes

Decisions, decisions. I say you have two excellent choices there. Yum.

When we go to Gene’s, we also add a container of the #10 hot sour dumpling soup for dinner the next day. I have never received fewer than a dozen dumplings in an order, so the two of us split the portion.

2 Likes

#10 is another favorite, but I was set on noodles today. Just noticed that the prices have gone up a little bit, but the #2 has been $11 for years.

1 Like

Gene’s in Woburn is still takeout only.

3 Likes

Despite both the website and the sign on the door saying the Woburn location is open on Sundays, they were closed today at 12:30-ish. Hope everything is OK.

1 Like

I wonder if it was because of the nonexisting hurricane? They should have put up a sign, at least.

2 Likes

As @Ferrari328 says, the closing yesterday is likely to have been storm-related. I checked the online pickup option at Woburn yesterday, and they were not accepting orders, but are accepting orders today for pickup starting 11 a.m. Tuesday.

3 Likes