Restaurants That Have Closed in Houston (and Greater Houston Area)

Yes it is.

Taking a Brit for fish and chips in the US is like me going to London and ordering Mexican food, now having said that I read some horror stories of bad fish over the pond.

When I want that style fish I go to MY HEB and get some cod and use a stupidly simple Paula Deen beer batter recipe, but I want to try Alfie’s for nostalgia reasons.

2 Likes

Looks like Nov 11 is the final curtain for sure.

I saw that and feel your loss, this from someone who has lost so many lately.

1 Like

Last day for Dona Lupe in Bingle

1 Like

I could walk to this place if I was so inclined and I’m not. The new place looks promising, I checked it out on yelp.

Where are you going to get my chocolates for Valentines Day? Boo Hoo :frowning:

3 Likes

Looks like Dolce Vita is on the block.

Dolce Vita

I loved that place but haven’t been since they switched to dinner only during the week. I used to go all the time for lunch, the veggie dishes were appetizers, shaved brussels sprouts with pecorino, fried artichokes, and strangely, mushrooms with mint and ricotta rosa being favorites. I once ordered a pasta dish and it was amazing, but I could never pass up the pizza with proscuitto. My son loves the pizza with tallegio and pears. If you like fruit on your pizza, try that before they close. I’m going to have to get there for a weekend lunch soon.

I’ve only been to DaMarco once, it was a tad stuffy for my tastes. I never have been to Poscol.

Proof that movers and shakers read our little forum: Dolce Vita JUST changed their hours to include lunch on Thursdays and Fridays.

tenor

1 Like

Danton’s replacement, know known as Eugene’s, opened late last year and we visited in November.

Had the lovely poblano soup again and the fried catfish (over fried), RBR and onion rings. Visited for a time with manager Louis, who we had come to look forward to seeing again over the years. He seemed less energetic than he was at Danton’s and I figured the newly opened restaurant was wearing him out. Later in November, Louis passed away the restaurant announced on their FB page and in emails. Really hard to hear. Another familiar face at another favorite restaurant also died last year. I doubt I’ll go back to either place now. Is that weird? It just doesn’t seem the same. We’ve been back to Patrenella’s a couple of times, but, yeah. Not the same.

1 Like

‘tis the season for restaurant closings. It seems there actually is a season and it is now. Andes café is closing, although he says he’s looking for a better location. I’ve seen many other restaurants closing in the past 30 days or so. among them Houston’s, Le Mistral, International smoke, beavers, hubcap grill downtown, and Theos. I talked to the former owner of Crab & Pho on Memorial at his other location yesterday and he said the construction killed it and many others in the area. That project is an unmitigated failure.

Go Texans

2 Likes

I could care less about sports, but my husband was watching it and just said that was a helluva game.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Come to Houston on Monday and listen to sports radio and the reaction of the bitter Texan defeat at the hands of the bungling boob Bill O’Brien.

I, on the other hand am a glass half full guy and think my mighty Texans won 22-19.

In Houston there are lots of free fast food offerings after a Texan win.

1 Like

I watched the Saints the next day and thought they were just replaying the same game over again.

Of all the closures in Houston, I still miss Feast the most, it was truly one of a kind. That chef, Richard Knight, has moved around to various new eateries since then but hasn’t really found a foothold anywhere. He just left the new Bravery Food Hall. Hope he finds his sweet spot.

BTW, food halls??? What is with that local trend. Hard pass for me.

I can’t find the topic where Doobs was posting old menus, but maybe this will work. Does anybody recognize this old Houston restaurant?

Ming’s?

Edited to add: I meant Ming Palace. In trying to find an old photo of the front, I ran across this article.

I never knew that Danny got started at MP.

Danny Wong and my late ex-stepfather were friends and we often ate celebratory meals starting in the late seventies at The Ten Fathoms downtown, and then his places on Richmond, (next door to the Pink Pussycat!), and later his place on Bissonnet a couple of blocks inside the Loop.

He was a great chef and warm host.

1 Like

With the decline of the malls and mall food courts??? The food halls seem to come and go, and the tenants and vendors come and go more quickly.

Also, I guess for start-ups, people trying to break into the business, having a set location, no second-third-fourth-or-fifteenth hand worn out truck to maintain nor have to trek to a commissary at the end of the day for cleaning (if you follow the rules) are plusses.

1 Like

Chuy’s on Westheimer near Fondren is gone. I tried it less than a year ago.

I’m not surprised it’s closed. We have too many excellent TexMex joints in town for mediocre overpriced places to survive.

I should note in all honesty that it was there for a long time though.

1 Like

So what’s with the pic? Is one of those little girls you?

Did you figure out where it was?

No I don’t know who the girls are, but this was posted in another public group by someone who is wanting to know what the restaurant is, and I thought there might be a very good chance that someone here would recognize it.

1 Like