Restaurants That Have Closed in Houston (and Greater Houston Area)

Sorry that it’s gone and that I never made it for all the years it was open.

I know Barnaby’s has Green Chile Cheeseburgers - can’t remember if I’ve had one! I’m sure I’ve seen them on other menus, too. Likewise I’ve seen Green Chile stew on menus, …I think…

Given the huge popularity of Hatch chilies here, you’d think there’d be more places serving the dishes they’re most associated with???

El Real has West Texas style stacked enchiladas. Do those differ from New Mexican only in the types of chilies used for the sauces?

Could be, though green chiles are popular in El Paso too. Whataburger does a seasonal green chile burger there, not sure about here. Chuys has a green chile festival each year with a roaster in the parking lot. But I like the red NM sauce.

1 Like

Not closed yet but only a week to go. Another place I never got around to checking out. I believe it’s been on my list for Fish and Chips for a long time.

I went to Queen Vic a year or so after it opened. I wasn’t impressed with the food, and not interested in a pub.

Noooo, not a restaurant but one of my favorites, Kegg’s Candies is biting the dust.

That’s so sad…

1 Like

Bad news Lambsy.

This is terrible! Our longtime favorite waiter there puts a reserved sign on “our” table for us. I need to go before it closes and find out where he will be assigned. :pouting_cat:The other locations are so dark inside, which I just can’t stand! 1308 has a brightly lit bar and patio at least. Darn.

1 Like

I feel for you. I’ve lost so many of my favorite places in the last few years I’ve lost count. I plan on going to Antonio’s Pizza in the next few days and I hope they don’t shutter the doors by then.

Best wishes, jc. You have been losing a lot lately. I still haven’t gotten over Louisiana Foods.

2 Likes

Didn’t they originally announce that one would be closing when they opened the one on lower Westheimer? Sorry for your loss. I’ve never gotten around to going to El Tiempo so I still have no idea what I’m missing.

I drive through the intersection of N. Post Oak and Westview at least once a week and instinct tells me to turn right toward Louisiana Foods instead of turning left toward Hempstead.

The gentleman at the counter called me mister and I always gave him a propina of a couple of bucks and was rewarded with an amouse bouche of a couple of shrimp, crab balls, tenders, etc.

I still haven’t found a place for shucked oysters at a reasonable price without a trip to Seabrook. My quest will continue in the fall.

1 Like

You’re missing fresh lump crab nachos and enchiladas, stellar grilled meats, queso flameado with fresh off the grill flour tortillas, and quintessential refried beans. I know you don’t drink but the skinny margaritas are as good as it gets.

The prices are high but the portions are large and an entrée and appetizer feeds two with leftovers.

1 Like

Yes the two story former steakhouse on Westheimer was to take the place of 1308 but when it didn’t close I forgot about it. The staff there is great, and they just fixed up the patio a bit.

1 Like

That pile of meat parillada is probably the most popular thing on the menu and you can mix and match any kind of meat, sausage and seafood. Those refrieds are my fav in town I think, super flavorful. The lunch crab and bacon is my lunch order most often, and I always take half home.

2 Likes

Uh, er, well… Seems it’s not closing afterall.

Dang. Just can’t believe anything anybody says anymore :roll_eyes:

Oh wow, I was headed over today for lunch to quiz the servers! :smiley::clap:

I went to say “au revoir” to the Cajun outpost of Danton’s today, just to have some poblano soup. So delicious, though not as spicy as it’s been on prior visits. Danton’s is moving to the old Mockingbird location a few blocks away, and changing the name to Eugene’s. According to our favorite server/manager Lewis, the menu will largely remain the same, though they may add some items. So the poblano soup is safe! Followed the soup with fried oyster tacos, which needed a flour (or corn) tortilla instead of the waxy kind that requires doubling up, and a generous squirt of remoulade to make it right.

IMG_2810

2 Likes

This from the glass half full category, Alfie’s Fish and Chips a teen favorite of mine and long since closed in Houston soldiers on in Texas City, same signage and menu.

I think I’ll stop by on the next Galveston trip if this post doesn’t kill it off.

1 Like

Is this the place that used to serve it on newsprint?

Once in the 70s a Brit came to visit our family and he saw this place and wanted to try it. We helped him with the correct change and he noshed on what was probably the worst he’s ever had. haha Last time I had fish and chips fast food was in the Park Shops early turn of the century. I guess it was Long John Silvers. Cured me off the stuff forever.

1 Like