Restaurants That Have Closed in Houston (and Greater Houston Area)

Doobs not food related but I just introduced the Wifeacita to Errol Flynn in “Captain Blood” with the lovely Olivia de Havilland.

I know you and OBD like old flicks like "The Day The Earth Stood Still
", on again recently. Bread and water is in the Errol Flynn picture.

I love popcorn. I especially like popcorn when watching old flicks.

I noticed both of my local Vertskebaps have closed. I think they all have! Wasn’t very impressed on my two visits. Good concept poorly executed.

According to the website there are still four operating in Houston. Never been to one but did go to Dogarz Doner in midtown, a very similar concept. One time.

Ditto Doo B.'s comment. How about Antonio’s on Hillcroft? I know you’ve also mentioned that in the past.

I had some while watching an old flick recently garnished with (real) truffle oil and parm. Excellent.

Luigi’s Cucina Italiana at 3030 Audley St closed. https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/06/14/high-end-river-oaks-italian-eatery-closes-files.amp.html

1 Like

AND they have just reopened across the street next to Piada.

This should bring a smile to Sr. Ostiones face - The Press reports Niko Niko’s has closed it’s market cafe at the Pearland HEB.

However, don’t go overboard on the celebrations, JC. They plan to open a freestanding location ‘in the coming years.’

1 Like

Houstonia reported Niko Niko’s closed too and named their replacement The Simple Greek:

“After a two-and-a-half-year run in Pearland, Niko Niko’s closed that outpost in late May. The Greek restaurant was a mini version of its legendary Montrose flagship, situated inside H-E-B Plus at 2805 Business Center Drive. The space won’t stay empty for long, however. The Simple Greek, a fast-casual, Mediterranean-inspired chain based in Pittsburgh, is moving in as early as this summer possibly. Expect build-your-own bowls and pita-filled options in a counter-service setting.”

Restaurants closed in May

Bernadine’s and Hunky Dory - 1801 North Shepherd Dr
Charlie’s BBQ - 8220 Airline Dr
Desi Express - 5838 New Territory Boulevard in Sugar Land
Glass Wall - 933 Studewood
Shade - 250 W 19th St
Grafitti’s at Union St - 2003 Union Street
Hot Toppings - 7705 Westheimer
La Macro - 5111 Washington Avenue
Pho Line - 13711 Westheimer, Suite A
Sullivan’s Steakhouse - 4608 Westheimer
Niko Niko’s - 2805 Business Center Dr

1 Like

Farewell Charivari! I’ve only visited a couple of times but it is undeniably Old Country fine dining.

Schuster is right though, the demographics, they are achanging, and the younger population has no love for classic dining. I do look forward to his new venture though.

I never made it here…

I went once, for sure. (May have gone ages ago when it was on Griggs across from Palm Center; we had relatives on that side of town).

After reading Robb Walsh’s Tex Mex Cookbook, I went around trying a lot of the old line places that were mentioned in that book. This place and Larry’s down in Richmond were two of them. Just once was enough. When I want classic Tex Mex, I’ll stick to El Real, thank you, and maybe Lopez. A couple of years later, I went to Don Teo on 34th. I read somewhere that they use the recipes from the original Monterrey House chain. That was my first experience of Tex-Mex in the 50s and my family was crazy about it. Thursday night became Tex-Mex night, with take-out from Monterrey House (I don’t think we ever ate in the restaurant - they may not have had a dining room) before my parents went bowling. Amazing how bland all of these taste to me now; back they, it was considered so bold and spicy. I just don’t get the fascination with this very old school Tex-Mex. I’d take Pappasito’s before any of these.

1 Like

Last time I went there it was just inedible (cheese enchiladas), but people love it.

Well this is sad. I only made it once, but enjoyed it.

I’m pretty sure that I suggested New Mexican/Southwestern cuisine as the next big trend in Houston, so…

Yep, even though I didn’t know they existed, I killed 'em.

I believe I was a naysayer on your restaurant killer suggestion with Tex-Mex firmly entrenched and Mex-Mex getting more popular.

However, you might not be a restaurant killer after all. I read some Yelp reviews and the wounds may have been self inflicted by new ownership.

There were many one star reviews by people that loved the place expressing displeasure with service, stale chips, margaritas, etc. since the ownership change.

1 Like

Interesting, I posted abut my visit in November and none of those issues were a problem then and the new owners had recently taken over. Still had $2 margs, the posole was amazing. I wonder what happened, probably inexperienced new owners. It must be a huge expense to buy a restaurant and close it within a year!

For a truly horrible description of Mother’s Day, just two days ago, read Kacie’s Yelp review. Wow.

The owner responds to many of the negative reviews and in one he said they changed management companies in March.

Sounds like a recipe for litigation.