Restaurant and Food News - Spring/Summer 2019 Edition (NY/CT)

Robert and Denise Horton, who had American Bistro for years in a couple of different locations in Tuckahoe, then had the nerve to close it down a couple of years ago, now have a NEW restaurant in No. Tarrytown, TBoys Bistro, on Beekman Ave. it’s smaller than the last iteration of Am Bistro, slightly different menu, but still great. Open only for dinner at this point.

Nice menu!

Nice food and nice people.

A new place called bb.q Chicken is going in next to O Mandarin in Hartsdale (where Jake’s Wayback Burgers used to be, I forget if something else was there afterwards). It’s a Korean chain known mostly for the fried chicken, but also has some Korean dishes. They seem to have some places in Manhattan (K-Town, Flushing, the uptown H-Mart and Brooklyn, and NJ.

Their chairman’s message (from the website) is “WE NOT MAKE CHICKEN; WE MAKE THE DIFFERENCE”.

http://bbdotqchicken.com/

1 Like

Interesting - we’ll see what happens!

So I just discovered that Zeph’s in Peekskill had closed in the spring. Apparently there is a new housing development going in and they were right in the middle of it. I found this article which has some interesting history about them. We had not been there in years but I would have gone back for a final meal if I’d known that it was closing. They were really the first to be serving high end food in Peekskill.

I never did get there. Thanks!

Vox in North Salem has been sold. I don’t know when it will be closing but I have heard it was purchased by a local resident who wants to make it into a high end restaurant, with, possibly, a well known chef. More to come as I find it out. Spy hat on!!

Edited to say that Vox had its last meal last night - the last Supper, as it were. I don’t know anything more yet.

And this

1 Like

Seth Greenberg (of William Greenberg Desserts) is opening in Larchmont in a few weeks. The shop is located next to Lusardi’s on Palmer Ave. The family business was sold years ago, and he may have had a no-competition clause (I don’t know). He has been doing some baking, mostly available at farmer’s markets. Pricing was always on the very high side, so i did not try much. The new shop (unfortunately) will probably continue that concern. BUT, I was told he will have schnecken- which, I’m afraid , I would buy at any price . The caveat being that the recipe has been “improved”. All too many times,I have found the original to be far superior- time will tell…

1 Like

Well, I may have to take a trip down to Larchmont to check it out for old times’ sake!

Still a few weeks away from opening -I would guess he’ll have a web-site. He was aiming for 2 to 3 weeks.

1 Like

If anyone wants to buy Dish Bistro in Mahopac, it’s for sale (or you can partner with the owner). The brochure is amusing to read since it shows the chef’s very high opinion of himself. I believe at least one person here had an unpleasant experience there. We enjoyed our meals there but I haven’t been in a while.

www.loopnet.com/Listing/947-S-Lake-Blvd-Mahopac-NY/15035303/

Yes, that was me. Yes “chef” does think very highly of himself!!! :slight_smile:

I wonder if they will have the almond-covered cookies I used to adore. BTW, there will be a William Greenberg Desserts cookbook released some time this fall.

Two downsides - one is to my ever expanding waist and the other to my ever shrinking wallet. His farmer’s market prices were already in the stratosphere, with the extra expense of a storefront it reaches into the scary zone. However - schnecken at any price. (Don’t remember the cookies)

1 Like

Update -
Saw seth at the Scarsdale Farmer’s Market today (9/19). The building dept. is doing its final inspection tomorrow 9/20 and if the shop passes, it will be ready to open. The girl working at the stand with him said that he does make almond cookies,so they will be available. I verified that their will be schnecken.
Was afraid to ask the price. He was giving samples of honey cake- to pre-order for the holidays - one customer wanted to buy one, but apparently it was to order only.

Good to know! Will have to check them out in a few weeks. Good luck with your waistline and your wallet. I will similarly be crying the blues about that duo!

1 Like

Well, I guess he didn’t find any buyers and he’s closing. From his Instagram page (kinda love the dig he gets in at the area for not supporting him):

I have had the privilege of guiding and growing Dish Bistro & Wine Bar over the past six years. With an amazing staff both past and present we pushed new and exciting food for our area, we expanded our space but most importantly we met so many wonderful people from community who supported us and encouraged us to push on. Dish Bistro has been an amazing place for me as a chef to tell my not only my story but the stories of others I have had the opportunity to met and share a meal with from all over the world. At this time the area just can not support where we want to bring our vision to next, but the story will continue and please be sure the check out our website for updates and information moving forward. Catering is still available as well. I do thank all of our friends, family and guests for your support. And look forward to serving everyone in the future.

Maybe if he has a future vision of good food, good service… :slight_smile:

1 Like