Resharp -- Automated Knife Sharpening Machine at Stores

I have one, too, and at my age sadly I really don’t have to worry about me outliving my maybe-too-ground knives.

3 Likes

With you on that!

1 Like

My Grandfather homesteaded a small farm in 1914 and started working cattle and sheep shortly thereafter. He had a 5" gelding knife that was razor sharp, but it had been sharpened so often that it was a nail paring of its former height, or so it seemed.
I do not know which of the kids or grand kids got it when he passed but i hope it occupies a place of honor somewhere and is used from time to time. Though it might not be used in its former manner. :smile:

3 Likes

:exploding_head:

2 Likes

I have my grandfather’s pocket knife. It’s rusted closed, I’m sure, but I know he sharpened it a lot.

2 Likes

I saw today that our Ace Hardware got one of the Resharp units recently. I asked how business was and it appears it hasn’t caught on. Maybe with tourist season, business for that device will pick up.

1 Like

Knife sharpening is an odd business area. Most American kitchens need some knife sharpening. I have many friends complain that their knives are not sharp and need knife sharpening. So i think many people recognize the need but there are no good solutions for them. Maybe be learning knife sharpening at time is too hard or too laborsomre and maybe sending knives to a professional knife sharpener take too long to get back or too expensive.
It just seems like brushing teeth. Everyone know they should do it, but they are just keeping it here and there

2 Likes

I have a three heavily used chef’s knives - which, in knife-geek-speak, need a ‘restore the edge’ treatment. I have an EdgePro setup, but was curious how well this gadget would stack up - restoring the edge on a 10+8+6 inch chef style . . . $7 is a bargin . . .

asked at our local Ace - got a blank look . . .
from their web site, tracked the ‘nearest location’ - which is in a well2do ‘retirement’ area but about an hour away.

so I broke out the gear and did the deed.

all that aside, there is a really simple, really effective design - as suggest by Chad Ward
here:
Knife Maintenance and Sharpening - The eGullet Culinary Institute (eGCI) - eGullet Forums

basically it’s a soft pad (I used mouse pads) with 200-600 grit wet dry sandpaper clamped on. one draws the knife over the pad, at an angle, cutting edge trailing. in 20-30 seconds you’ve got a seriously sharp edge. both son and son-in-law expressed their amazement when put to use . . .
here’s a pix of the three I made for my kids. you don’t need anything this “fancy.”
you can use your fingers to hold the wet/dry paper, with a mouse pad underneath, and get very similar results. the side slat is used as a general indicator for chef knife (not as acute) and slicers (more acute) angles.

3 Likes

Years ago I bought Chard Ward’s book — bases on his online version. It is well written book for anyone who is interested in knife sharpening — particularly for beginners and intermediate sharpeners. It gives a good historical background, knife sharpening techniques, kitchen knife cutting techniques and it is also a humorous book.

1 Like

I have the book. I still use my ChefsChoice sharpeners-electric and manual. I’m a bad, bad student.

2 Likes

I am a baaaaaaad man — quote Butters from South Park

2 Likes

If you need a “restore the edge” treatment on heavily-used chefs knives, it sounds like you need the blades thinned before the cutting bevels are set. An Edgepro, if it’s going to sharpen, is likely just going to set a taller cutting bevel.

Stropping can help the very edge, but it can’t really help thin.

It doesn’t take much, but the flats need to visit the platen.

2 Likes

Of course! :thinking:

I’m kidding. Every time I visit this subject I get closer to knife sharpening confidence.

2 Likes

I thought it is a humorous book. I remember I laughed at many of his jokes. (Maybe i have a low threshold for jokes)

2 Likes

I liken it to flossing teeth. Oughta do it, but hey it won’t hurt to skip this once many many times in a row.
Now I have knives that don’t crush tomatoes or soft bread. I’m pretty sure I’m the only one that uses the sharpener, which is fine, because I’m the only one that can use it properly. I did finally get others to quit putting the knives in the damn dishwasher, so there has been improvement.

3 Likes

Oooooo! And I happen to have an appointment for a “cleaning” tommorow!

2 Likes

I feel certain that you’ll pass with flying colors (most of them white, as in lovely teeth)

1 Like

Ooh, just got a BOGO deal at my local ACE for resharp processing. I am going to take 4 of my lower end knives, the ones I store at the front of the drawer for spouse to use. He is murder on knives and loves to pound them on plastic cutting boards. Resharp is way cheaper than a divorce!

2 Likes

I did not expect this statement. Ha ha ha. Let me know how you and your husband feels after the knife sharpening.

1 Like

Replying to several of the comments…

@HappyOnion what do you mean by your knives’ edges getting “fatigued”?

@Chemicalkinetics In 2021 I was the on-site knife sharpener at one of the local Farmers’ Markets. I brought my 1"x42" belt grinder with me and offered while-you-shop knife sharpening, charging $1/inch. Several times I received items that required more extensive work than I could do there, and I always explained the issues to the customer before accepting the knife. I told them I would bring the knife back the next week (after working on it in my shop), or they could pick it up from me if it was done earlier.
It took several months for the word to get out that there was an on-site knife sharpener, and people would bring their knives because they knew I’d be there. For this machine sharpener, I’d credit its convenience (knowing it’s there) as the biggest enticement. Since there’s minimal human interaction, I view $7/knife as a relatively expensive option. Also, I think your $60 electric sharpener example is not a valid comparison because it doesn’t contain lasers! :laughing:

I visited my sister and her family recently and made the mistake of looking at her knives. The next day I was out shopping for water stones. Unfortunately, they live in a smaller town in Montana, and the best option was an $8 carborundum stone (like the $1.50 HF version mentioned previously). It worked, but, after using water stones for the past 14 years, I didn’t enjoy using it. I gave them one of my knives as a housewarming gift and I’m visiting again in August; this time I’ll bring one or two of my water stones with me.

One of the biggest problems I see with at-home sharpeners – both motorized and manual pull-thru types – is that people routinely apply uneven pressure on their knives when using them. Last weekend I sharpened 6 knives for a customer who’d been using a pull-thru home sharpener. 4 of them had reverse curves at the heel, with a visible gap against the cutting board. I see this a lot, so if you use one of these at home, just be aware of how much pressure you’re applying, especially near the heel of the knife.

My questions about Resharp:
Does it flatten edges that have been over-ground (reverse curve) near the heel?
What does it do with bolsters that sit proud of the knife’s edge?

2 Likes