Regrettable Bites (circa 2023)

I didnt buy it but if I did it would definitely be regrettable.

PNG image

6 Likes

But Carls does not have road kill fries with animal sauce. I could go for that for breakfast right now. Better than any hash. At least for me.

We Have a New Mexican Restaurant in Pollock Pines!!!

In a couple of words… the La Comida Grill = Pricey… Bland.

I discovered this place yesterday around lunch time while I was searching to see if there was any delivery service for my fav taqueria down the hill. So excited to see a new Mexican Restaurant up here I rolled into town and went in to order their “Big Bean & Cheese Burrito” to go, with onions. I asked the very friendly young lady if they had a salsa bar, or if not could I get some red salsa on the side. She said she’d take care of it, and that it’d take about 15 minutes (thought that kinda odd for a B&C burrito, given the place was empty, but whatever)… walked across the parking lot to the Family Dollar store to pick up a few things.

When I returned it was ready… but at $12.52 for a bean burrito! She handed it to me… wrapped in foil and inside a small cellulose bag with the handles tied in a knot. The first thing I noticed was when I put my hand underneath it… it folded over my palm like a wet dish towel (clearly not a full, tightly wrapped burrito).

When I got it home I was literally insulted I was charged 75¢ extra for literally two tablespoons of salsa (I measured the volume of the container afterwards).

It was clearly a big tortilla, but not a big burrito. There was so much tortilla to get through from either end, I had to cut it in half to get to the insides. And while there were onions in it, way too few to even notice. The texture of the beans was good, but way under-seasoned to the point this thing was almost tasteless… so was the cheese.

And the 75¢/oz of salsa was nothing like what I would consider to be salsa. No discernible chunks of anything. Bland, smooth, and very one dimensional. After a few bites from the middle of each half, I tossed the rest as there was just gooey tortilla left, and not enough salsa to make it palatable.

The place opened in February… and while Google reviews are fairly positive, not so much on Yelp with most of the complaints being about prices, portion sizes, and lack of flavor. I may try them again… but if you can’t get refried beans and salsa right (even at crazy high prices), whose to say anything else will be better.

Hopefully they’ll take the “lack of flavor” remarks seriously and work on it to become a worthwhile option here, but not for now.

1 Like

You’re a more forgiving diner than I. If a Mexican restaurant cannot even produce a decent salsa (and I won’t even mention upcharge for it) I’d have to place it on my "I tried it once " **** list. Life is too short for limp bland food, especially when it’s expensive.

Yeah… but we have so little here, I’d luv to see everyone succeed so I will usually give anyone a second chance with another dish. After that bye-bye.

1 Like

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a good chef looking to relocate.

Not sure. We have one restaurant that has been here for decades that was quite good… but then seriously went down the tubes. Just before the Pandemic it was acquired by another restaurateur who has seriously restored the quality, but the menu is not particularly attractive to me, and don’t really know how well they’re doing.

My two favs have closed, and three others I liked went way downhill after new owners.

Having a new Mexican place seemed thrilling to me, but my first experience was pretty sh**ty.

Hope it steps up its game in response to the feedback.

File under: small h cannot read the signs (literally and figuratively)

After a lovely midday meal of clam noodle soup, tofu puffs and clam cakes at Mam, I was walking home and passed a small restaurant I’d not seen before that served rice rolls. I love rice rolls. Even though I’d just had a fair amount of food, I decided a shrimp rice roll would be a perfect post-lunch snack. Some of the menu items surprised me - I’d never seen an eel rice roll before, or a kimchi rice roll, but hey, this modern world, right?

Long story short (too late - hah!), these are not cheung fan. They are the mutant spawn of a burrito and a handroll: nori wrapped around purple and black rice wrapped around sweet mayo (gah), shredded iceberg and something which I think may have been pickled pineapple. Also a very small amount of shrimp.

I’m sure it was exactly right for what it was. I’m sure if someone had gone in expecting this:

IMG_6783

they would have been very happy. I, on the other hand, was filled with regret.

5 Likes

But it looks so good.

Pickled pineapple and Mayo? Is this the mutant offspring of a 50’s concoction- canned pineapple ring slice with the center hole filled with mayo and topped with a maraschino cherry?

1 Like

Don’t you just hate that!

I don’t even understand bubble tea, so I might be the wrong person to ask.

1 Like

Me either.

2 Likes

Same. We have several in our small town - guess the students (and the sizable Asian community) love it. I don’t even like regular tea, but I certainly don’t want squishy globes of sweet shit in it.

I like Red Zinger herbal tea iced. Of course, that assumes I’m going to remember to make it. No sugar, thank you.

The tapioca bubbles themselves aren’t really sweet. It’s usually the drink itself that’s super sweet (and often milky). I really like the texture of the boba, but the high sweetness and the large sizes (try to get one under 16 oz.) keep me from getting bubble tea more often.

6 Likes

And I enjoy tapioca pudding. Go figure. I just don’t drink it …

I love a good boba, but I don’t put it in tea, I’ll get a mango, strawberry, or green apple boba for a dessert-type drink.

We recently got a location of a worldwide phenom apparently called Mochinut. It has mochi donuts and about 7 flavors of bubble tea. What I particularly like about it is that most of them give you the option to make your drink “less” sugar or “half” sugar. What I don’t like about bubble tea is that it typically costs around $6 here, which is steep for a nonalky drink. Plus my environmental self balks at the amount of unnecessary packaging. For instance, said Mochinut uses a plastic bottom like you see most everywhere, but instead of a small film top, they use a 12oz soda can top. So, tons of waste. But I like bubble tea in principle.

3 Likes