Regrettable Bites (circa 2023)

A thread for all those bites, meals, etc. that you regretted. For whatever reasons.

Share, if for no other reason, to warn other HO’ers.

3 Likes

This was the Thai Paradise Beef from Thai Paradise in San Gabriel.

If this was “paradise” I would rather be stuck in purgatory.

2 Likes

Describe what was wrong with it.

Mine was a simple Mexican stuffed pepper with shrimp and some sauce. How could the most popular Mexican place around get me sick? Well, it did. But a strong round of yacking and I was good as new. My smaller local Mexican place is substantially better food anyway, without the sick.

1 Like

1982, a chain Mexican restaurant next to Disneyland. Delicious camarrones going in, and as Roseanne Roseannadanna said (I think), ‘I thought I was gonna die’. Barely made it outside. Never camarrones in a restaurant again! My date at the time thought I was channeling Regan MacNeil.

3 Likes

It would be the envy of all chewing gum.

3 Likes

It has to be the BK chicken sandwich. The second time I went there I ordered the spicy. I was hungry for something. After half way through. I set it aside in my vehicle … I drove away like I have been drugged. Nope. Never again.

Good idea for a thread.

I tend to block out bad meals because they annoy me when I dwell on them. But it doesn’t always work. I’m sure I’ll be back.

1 Like

Update : last night’s oyster stew did me in for a 14-1/2 hour visit to the porcelain throne. Roseanne Roseannadana was quoted many times. No more jarred oysters (with a sbd of next week of all things ) or jarred anything seafood that isn’t absolutely fresh. Oh and a big thank you not! to my now former fishmonger who has twice disappointed me. Maybe this is just a sign of the suppy chain times. Gawd, I hope not! Twice burned thrice shy.

Look on the bright side, at least you’re starting the new year off with a clean, er, um, slate.

2 Likes

Thanks! Looking at all of the wonderful postings on HO just makes me drool and feeling like hurling…:dizzy_face: This too, shall pass.

I stopped by a newish suburban BK for the first time to try the breakfast sandwich. They had no coffee. The breakfast sandwich was okay. The service was really slow, around 7 minutes to prep 2 breakfast sandwiches with hash browns for the drive-thru. No cars ahead of mine when I ordered. I can’t understand a BK not having coffee available on a Saturday morning.

I probably won’t go back to that location. There’s a perfectly good Starbucks, Wendy’s and McD’s less than a mile away, that have breakfast, that seem to be running properly.

1 Like

So, this topic is not just limited to SoCal?

1 Like

I respond to Ipse’s posts regardless of where I am. :joy:

2 Likes

Others not from LA were responding as well. If it’s not a local query maybe it should be in a different category :thinking:

1 Like

It’s all good.

If you have a regrettable bite, we in LA all feel for you!

3 Likes

From last year, in LA. Son really wanted to go to In and Out which we do not have in the DMV. I warned him. Just so boring, flabby fries, overly sweet sauce, so so burger. Fortunately, a few days later, The Standing Room’s burger in Redondo erased that terrible memory with its deliciousness.

Last week, at home in VA I picked up a cheesesteak sub with waffle fries for spouse and I to split at The Beeliner. I had high hopes because of another place the owners have however that sub was not only pricey but so bland. More onions, some spices, and hot peppers would have helped (I don’t care if that is not “authentic”). Waffle fries tasted like frozen ones, too hard and lacking flavor. I could have easily done better myself with Costco shaved beef and tater tots. I might go back to try breakfast b/c the service and atmosphere was nice. But hey no one got sick!

3 Likes

You’d think a Brazilian cafe would have good (or at least decent) coffee, right? Wrong. Mediocre at best. At least the pastries, including the pao de quejo, are top-notch, but this limits my close-to-the-office coffee options even more.

1 Like

I went to a nearby BK once and ordered a cheeseburger. They said they were out of burgers. I sped away.

4 Likes

With you on the In & Out, I waited until the lines were less than a half mile long and gave it a try. It was okay, but not worth waiting a year for, as it turned out.

2 Likes

I like In 'n Out, but agree their fries are usually a miss. Plus if you have a “good” Carl’s Jr. near you their Superstar is often way better… so are the fries.

2 Likes