Refried beans or whole?

Talking plates as well as burritos. We celebrate restaurants and trucks that offer whole pintos, but refried seem to be the most prevalent.

What’s your bean?

In burritos . I like whole pintos . On a plate such as Chile relleno rice and beans . I like refried.

2 Likes

The plot thickens…

1 Like

Lovely dish.

3 Likes

It all depends. Pinto beans with BBQ & ribs. Refried with Mexican food always unless charro beans are on the menu with quesadillas. The list is endless.

2 Likes

50/50. I’ll run the boat motor a few times, but not enough to catch them all.

2 Likes

It’s my favorite dish . I very rarely order meat dishes at a Mexican restaurant. Chile relleno, cheese enchilada rice and beans please.

4 Likes

Those are my favorites too emglow, but it can be hard to find delicious chiles rellenos out, and sometimes even cheese enchiladas! I like our homemade ones the best, but have found a place that’s acceptable. Along with refried beans, I tend to judge Mexican restaurants on those 3 things.

4 Likes

I LOVE excellent refried beans, but will totally not eat them if they’re just so so or straight out of a can. I was once told by a good friend eons ago, that if American Mexican/Tex Mex places don’t have good refried beans, then the rest of their food won’t be great either. I have mostly found this to be true, in fact.

I also really like well flavored pintos a lot, and tend to make them at home if I’m putting together a lot of other items for a special dinner or event. If push came to shove, and I knew the refried beans were excellent somewhere, I would opt for them over just pintos. I do use lard in my refried beans, but have had some made with olive oil that have been fantastic.

1 Like

No, no, no. It is MY favorite dish. :laughing: Unfortunately, I have been informed that it is unhealthy. I still love it.

2 Likes

I could believe it . Yet I very rarely go out to eat . I’ve tried to make Chile rellenos at home . It was a complete train wreck .

3 Likes

No, you can absolutely do this. Make sure your chiles are fresh and thick skinned. Char them over your stovetop flame, cool and skin. Stuff with oaxacan if you can get it, mozz or jack if not. Dredge lightly in flour. Whisk some flour into an egg yolk; whip the whit until stiff. Combine yolk and whites. Coat chili in this, then fry in 1/3" hot oil Drain and Woohoo!

Best if you make some of the classic tomato based sauce to go along, Or green chili sauce and sour cream ain’t bad,

6 Likes

What the relleno filled with? I usually get shrimp.

I always thought Hatches would be good skinned and rellenados.

1 Like

I tried them at home one time. I’ve ordered them out ever since.

1 Like

The first time or two I made them they were a disaster too. Eventually I tried again and now I find it to be easy. I don’t know why things changed for me. Thirds time’s a charm? I make them pretty much the way pilgrim says to except I think I fry in at least one inch of oil.

2 Likes

Stuffed pablano pepper with cheese. Limited restaurants
where I live . I would definitely order the shrimp if it was avt.

1 Like

To me, Hatch chiles and Anaheim’s are a bit too thin for chiles rellenos, but I find that the fleshier Poblanos work well, and bring good flavor too.

3 Likes

I like whole for most dishes where I will be eating beans except fried tacos, burritos and enchiladas in which case I prefer refried. but it mostly depends on my mood and where I am eating. If I know the place that I am eating at makes good whole beans I am likely to order those regardless of what I am eating.

If the cheese is good, hey, live it up. The Mexican place by me just changed hands. Things are nose diving. Hope they get it together. I USED to get relleno with shrimp. Don’t know I’d trust their shrimp, now.

1 Like