Red Onions in Quantities Less Than One Onion

The salad bar can be quite convenient. I often use it when a recipe calls for one celery stalk as no one eats celery in my household.

3 Likes

Celery Nation is not happy .

1 Like

My family swears they are going to eat and it always ends up a limp mess.

3 Likes

I’m a heavy shallot user and I agree. I’d use a cipollini onion instead - they are sweet and mild like red onions and more to the point they are tiny. Most places I go for vegetables sell everything loose so you can easily buy one shallot or one cipollini onion.

2 Likes

Great idea! I :hearts: cipollini onions but find them SO much harder to find or grow than red, yellow, or hybrid shallots (haven’t tried to grow French grey). Not giving up though, especially after this!

1 Like

My usual soup recipe starts out with celery, onions, and carrots, sauteed for a while before adding liquids or whatever kind of soup material it’s going to be. Recently my refrigerator has been randomly deciding to freeze the vegetable drawer, so suddenly it’s soup time; celery does ok if it’s been frozen and hasn’t re-thawed and turned into mush. The onions weren’t really frozen, but they’d probably do fine as well.

1 Like

Soup is one of my favorite food categories. I try to make a pot every week.

:disappointed_relieved: I like celery. If you store it in ice cold water in the fridge it will last a long time

2 Likes