Red Flags on Menus?

Wow - lots of interesting replies (and many that I agree with); thank you for letting me know I’m not alone in these experiences.

However, I’m really, really saddened by the anger and what I think is miscommunication that happened here.

7 Likes

There are no rules and especially in France. The good and bad restaurants use more or less the same wordings.

I think the termed you start seeing more and more “revisité”, a bit like deconstructed, a classic that is well known but the chef tried to reinvent the dish with his own imagination. Seen more in higher end for the moment, but I think the trend is catching up with all types of restaurants.

Orthography is a sign though, another hint is a menu with 100 items. Or a menu with all types of cuisines.

Alain Passard once said to know if a restaurant is good one or not is to see if there are a lot of people eating in the restaurant.

1 Like

I don’t recall where I read this, but good advice (it was in relation to Italy but applicable anywhere): avoid any gelato shop that has blue as a flavor.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity what does the flavor of blue taste like? (don’t say chicken)

2 Likes

Smurf? I don’t know, I stay away!

On a practical level, it’s a sign that the shop is using a mix or a powder rather than fresh ingredients.

2 Likes

OMG and smurf tastes like chicken!!! It all comes back around.

Yes, when a flavor is best described by it’s color I would say that’s a strong indication of powder or chemical rather than fresh.

3 Likes

One of my all-time favorite Chowhound posts involved a hound calling out someone involved with a restaurant for posting a stellar, obviously ulteriorly-motivated review of a mediocre pub restaurant in Davis Square (Somerville, MA). The hound tried to come up with something positive to say about the venue and came up with something like “on the plus side, their blue drinks are very blue.” One of my favorite backhanded compliments of all time, and I’d link to it if only I could figure out how to search the new Chowhound.

3 Likes

Use google to search CH

1 Like

I was joking about Smurf, but apparently it really is Smurf!

from http://www.italylogue.com/food-drink/italian-gelato-flavors-decoded.html

“puffo (POOF-foh) – was reminded of the blue gelato I saw in Italy called
“Puffo” – which is the Italian word for “Smurf” – which I didn’t sample,
but which my friend Alessandro tells me is anise flavored (like black
licorice). I’ve heard others report that puffo can also be bubble-gum flavored, so you might want to ask for a sample before you decide whether you want it.”

Another site showed the blue labeled as cotton candy, also disgusting.

1 Like

@Parsnipity, here’s where you quoted it on CH (it’s about Orleans in Davis Square):

1 Like

yeah, I tried to google search it per naf’s comment but only came up with my own quote. Apparently I’ve thought that was funny for a long time…

3 Likes

So as you read this thread it’s obvious some people took exception to each other’s tones, and some have stated they are done with the site all together.

I’m going on the record to say; “I’m sorry”. Even though I wasn’t personally involved, I apologize on behalf of all parties. We all have bad days, we all have the ability to misjudge tone or intentions we all make mistakes. This forum is no different than any other aspects of everyday life.

Well there is one exception…in everyday life you don’t have good ole NotJrvedivici in your corner, but here you do! While I have NO OFFICIAL CAPACITY on this site, I just like to consider myself an all around decent guy. (I’m also a smidge handsome oh and pretty dam funny and charismatic, but enough about me) Here’s my offer to all of you, if you’re having a bad day, or something rubs you the wrong way message me. Vent, curse, cry or just sit back and let me make fun of the SOB that’s making you miserable. I don’t mind, I truly don’t.

I like this site for what it is, a place for like minded people to come share their common interests. It’s a pleasant distraction for me from the every day trials and tribulations of life, this should never turn into a trial or tribulation, if it is drop me a line.

To those who say they left, if you’re reading this, come on back, I’m sorry!!

Peace out peeps.

9 Likes

I do to , Not! But if I need to vent I know where to go!

2 Likes

to be fair – they did do a followup online, and quite few of the restaurants have significantly upped their game, and now update their menus to show sources. It’s a matter of time until they backslide, but good while it lasts.

You are more than welcome! Even if it’s about me too!

2 Likes

Unfortunately couldn’t be further from the truth

7 Likes

L’Arpege is a tough table to book.

Tells me that the word "good’ is a very relative term.

As with all rules context is everything. For example I suspect he said it before the explosive spread of chain restaurants and blog/twitter inspired places to be seen.

However, if you update its a bit to add a qualifications for category and hype i.e. restaurants that have been open for three months it could hold true…

Actually in my experience often the best restaurants in terms of quality, execution and creativity have problems to stay open in the 1-3 year timeframe. Often they are ahead of their times, pushing boundaries and are less frequent visited but have much better food than other more popular places.

1 Like