lol… “cake” thank you for taking the time to respond
I do hope that you understand what I wrote was
absolutely in no way a reflection on you … I was not judging
what you wrote or how Babbett responded … just wanted to
get my point across … hmmm so we all don’t live in the same
head… imagine that …“Insert smiley face here”

deconstructed ≠ disassembled

4 Likes

For Bmorecupcake, my personal favourite. (Black Forest cake pic requires going through my German holiday photos stored on CDRs).

5 Likes

no idea its origin, but it always seems appropriate when people get pissy on the internet and feel compelled to announce they are taking their ball and going home.

ffs. log off and go for a walk. it’s a food chatboard, ya know?

eta: dunno how to parse multiple quotes here.

1 Like

@Presunto is that a poppy seed swirl? Yum!

“Cooked to Perfection!”

Often used to describe a plain piece of protein such as a steak or chop.
And often served plain on a cold plate.
With “sides” served in seperate dishes, so as not to “touch” one another.

WTF does “Cooked to Perfection!” mean???

3 Likes

lol, it’s all good

as for black forest cake, cherries are coming into season in the northern hemisphere…

Deconstructed, modernist, molecular - these are all rather vague and subject to a certain amount of artistic license. I certainly don’t mind deconstructed, spherified, or anything else as long as it tastes good. I wish I could post the pic and recipe from Los Postres de El Bulli for ‘mi selva negra’ without violating copyrights - its two rectangles of kirsch panna cotta, a strip of chocolate sponge cake arranged in an S, crumbled oreos (dark part only), cherries in reduce cherry syrup, and some other chocolate garnishes. Definitely modernist, possibly deconstructed, not that molecular., and actually very simple, straightforward flavors.

For some dishes it just makes sense to separate components if they’ll stay fresher or better separate - keep the crispy things crispy until the last minute, or have a hot/cold contrast. Plus, there can be greater perceived value in a beautifully plated dessert with a crumb here, a mousse there and a coulis or two than a simple slice of cake. Or at least I think the layer cake is the less interesting option.

2 Likes

Hear, hear.

Good one. My perfect steak and yours may be quite different.

1 Like

A friend and I went to a steakhouse for dinner. Before our orders arrived, Polly had to use the ladies’ room. “If the waiter comes before I get back”, she said, “order the same meal as mine so I can take it home for Bob (her husband)”. I asked, “How does he like his steak done?”. Her reply: an acerbic, “Ruined”.

3 Likes

You know… I’ve read that post three times now and am puzzled… I’ve never in my life seen anything that would relate to that ‘description’ of the phrase “cooked to perfection”, unless you’re just trying to be sarcastic in relating it to what you feel would be the type of restaurant that might use the term? But I digress.

For whatever it might be worth (and not really much) I would take the phrase to mean that the chef/cook has cooked the dish “perfectly”. That, of course, is related to the chef/cook’s opinion of what that is, and what we would hope would happen every time anyway. So it’s just a ‘puff’ phrase with no real value… I’ll certainly agree to that.

1 Like

I giggle at some of the way menus are constructed and thanks to all for reminding me of many red flags.

One I will add after last week is “Inspired by.”

Set the scene… a gorgeous, bright, restaurant. Late lunch. I love hamburgers and menu states that it is “Inspired by our Sister Property” and names a very famous steak house in NYC. The only item that might have “inspired” was a beef patty on a roll with L&T plus caramelized onions. The copycat did not include several ingredients, did not include French fries, was overcooked, on a stale bun and was still ~$10 more expensive.

Another buyer beware event.

2 Likes

I sort of think that “perfection” refers to the customer’s choice when ordering his meal. If you ask for medium rare, that’s what you’ll get.

4 Likes

Wow! You’re no longer around to see this, but this sounds like one of those auto accident reports where different witnesses saw very different things. So now HO is down two posters. For what???

3 Likes

So boston_otter attacks Harters, calls him a troll, and HE’S the one offended? Jesus.

5 Likes

We need both of you on these boards. I hope you’ll stay and just ignore posters who irritate you.

2 Likes

This whole thread has been deconstructed .:poop:

8 Likes

Person opinion. Thin skin is fragile. Grow some cojonies and move on. Nothing here offensive.

1 Like

I had to re-read the tread to see if I could understand what happened…still not certain I do.

Seemed to be two different perspectives on he same thing, sort of conversation I have with my friends all the time…maybe I need less opinionated friends but that would be pretty boring.

2 Likes

I really don’t get how overly sensitive some people are. Harters did nothing wrong or offensive. Jeez. Some people I think are just angry people.

1 Like