Red Clam Sauce with Victoria marinara

Should I attempt a red clam sauce with Victoria marinara? (It is the BEST marinara sauce imho)

I have a pint of fresh clams, thinking garlic, olive oil, anchovy paste and some clam juice plus the sauce.

Or should I stick with white clam? Any opinions? A little worried to waste the clams on something that would be icky :slight_smile:

I think red sauce with clams and shellfish really needs a ton of garlic. I like the brininess of the clams to shine, and they will give up plenty of their own liquor thatโ€™s much better than adding bottled clam juice. Victoria sauce is already pretty thin, so adding clams and clam juice would make for a really watery dish, IMO. Just be sure to scrub the shells really well, and let them taste like briny salt water.

I much prefer white sauce. I saute a lot of garlic, some red pepper flakes in EVOO, add some white wine before garlic gets color, chopped flatleaf parsley while heating the clams and a bunch more once plated. Adjust seasoning with s and fgbp before serving.